Top 3 Favorite Musicals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Show tunes…you either love them or you hate them. I just so happen to be one of those people who love them. In a perfect world, I’d be able to see a Broadway show every day. In reality however, that’s quite an expensive habit to keep up and the next best thing will just have to do. In this case, that means buying cast albums and listening to them on repeat while proceeding to pretend that I’m playing the role of every single character.

Being lucky enough to live just a two hour train ride from New York City has given me the opportunity to see quite a few musicals over the years, and still, nothing is more exciting than walking into a theatre and being handed a playbill. So of course it’s hard for me to choose just a few favorites (because they’re all wonderful in their own ways), but without further ado, here are my top 3 favorite musicals (in no particular order).

1. Book of Mormon

Since 2011, Book of Mormon has been going strong on Broadway. Created by the same people who brought you South Park, this is a show that’s guaranteed to leave you laughing until your sides hurt. While it’s anything but family friendly, Book of Mormon has a soundtrack that you just can’t resist singing along with and some of the best tap dancing I’ve ever seen.

2. Hedwig and the Angry Inch

While Hedwig and the Angry Inch isn’t the most well known musical (it’s only Broadway run lasted from 2014 to 2015), it’s certainly a cult classic, and frequently compared to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. What makes Hedwig one of my favorite shows of all time is the fact that it’s a Rock musical. When you think of traditional show tunes, this is definitely not what comes to mind, but it’s certainly worth a listen.

3. Hamilton

And of course, Hamilton. I couldn’t leave that one out, could I? Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past few years, there’s a good chance you’ve heard about Hamilton, a hip hop musical about the Founding Fathers. I think this one is pretty self explanatory. It definitely lives up to the hype.

Whether you’re new to musical theatre or a lifelong fan, you know there’s just something about it that brings people together. And if you haven’t listened to any show tunes…it’s time to get started. You’ll be hooked soon enough.

Image Sources:

Source 1: Anigif_optimized-17725-1421247662-19.gif

Source 2: https://giphy.com/gifs/the-book-of-mormon-musical-hasa-diga-eebowai-3o7TKsf9NIog8bscJq

Source 3: tumblr_p2ej8zeiXu1uyth69o5_400.gif

Source 4:

http://allthe2048.com/community-games/hamilton-gifs.html

Cover Photo:

nyc-137947730.jpg

Connecticut girl currently residing in Vermont as a senior at Saint Michael's College. English major with a love for writing, running, skiing, and all things Broadway.