St. Mike’s Sweetheart: Meghan Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

You’ve definitely seen her around campus and chances are she was smiling when you did! Meet the sweetest little ray of sunshine, Meghan Smith! 

Hometown:  Pembroke, NH

YOG: 2019 ?

Major:  Biology

Fun Fact: I’ve performed on the same stage as the Beach Boys!  (Not at the same time, but we don’t have to mention that)

HC: Why did you choose SMC? 

MS: Saint Mike’s wasn’t initially on my radar when I was on the search for colleges.  One of my friend’s brothers went to Saint Mike’s and he told me I had to check it out because he thought it would be a perfect school for me.  I came on a campus tour of Saint Mike’s, and I know this sounds super cliché, but I just got that feeling that I belonged there. I immediately fell in love with the campus and the people here.  Everyone was so friendly to me on my tour, and I specifically recall Professor McCabe talking to me for about a half hour about the Biology Department! I thought maybe it was because it was my first look at a school, but I toured about 7 other schools and none compared to the way I felt about Saint Mike’s.  I toured one last time, and knew for sure that Saint Mike’s was my home. 

HC: What are some things that you’re involved with on campus?

MS: I am involved with Founder’s Society as a Tour Guide, Tribeta, The Acabellas, Random Acts of Kindness, I am an Orientation Leader and will be a POW Leader for the first time this summer!!

HC: What is your favorite thing about SMC?

MS: There are honestly so many things I love about SMC.  I think one of the things I love the most about Saint Mike’s apart from all of the people I’ve met and the activities I’m involved with is its small size.  Because we are such a small community, I think that brings us closer to other individuals that can really teach you a lot about their perspective on the world, and you get to hear some really incredible stories.  In addition, the small school atmosphere that we have allows the student/professor relationship to be that much closer. Professors at Saint Mike’s truly care about their students, and will set aside the time to really sit with you and address any issues you’re having with a course. Even if you are just stressed about your future, they are always willing to provide the best advice they can.  Due to our small class sizes, the emphasis is really on you as a student, ensuring you are provided with all the tools you need to succeed.

HC: How has being a member of the Acabellas impacted your SMC experience?

MS: Being in the Bella’s is seriously one of the best experiences I’ve had.  The girls are so incredible, and being a part of such a close group of girls has been a great outlet for me.  We do Rose and Thorn every rehearsal where we just talk about the best and worst parts of our week which really does help relieve stress!  Being able to go and sing with some of my best friends is a blessing and I wouldn’t trade it for the world!!! We also try and do some community outreach throughout the semester which I live for!  We went to a children’s Christmas party and sang last semester and it was so much fun!!!

HC: If you and the Bellas could perform anywhere, where would you choose? 

MS: This is a really hard question!  I think it would be a really neat experience to go overseas and sing!  Maddy Linden specifically wants to go to the Taj Mahal! I think it would be a really amazing bonding experience for us as a group, while also taking our performance preparation to the next level.  Not to mention, I wouldn’t mind going on a little vaca with my ladies!

HC: Any advice for underclassmen?

MS: I would suggest that underclassmen get involved in different groups right away!!  The nice thing about Saint Mike’s is that there is so much opportunity to get involved, and the first couple of years is the perfect time to figure out what you’re passionate about.  You can always try things out and if they don’t work for you, that’s okay!! You don’t have to do everything you try in your first couple of weeks! I think it’s just really important to put yourself out there.  Doing clubs and extracurricular activities allows you to meet so many amazing people and spend time doing what you love. When school gets stressful, being able to go escape for a while with things you love to do is really beneficial!