SMCVT HC takes on ALS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

On September 8, 2016 we had the opportunity to sit down with Junior Niall Keane and Sophomore Katie Farrell to talk about the disease ALS. In an attempt to raise awareness, the two promoted a walk in downtown Burlington and encouraged friends and classmates to take part in learning more about the disease.

On Sunday September 25 at 10:30 in the morning, a group of about 70 Saint Michael’s students walked to raise awareness for ALS. The Saint Mike’s team raised $1,590.00 and the event raised $39,149.00 total.

Everyone gathered in Saint Mike’s apparel to create more awareness for ALS. The walk in Burlington is currently in the process of growing and it was a fantastic experience for Her Campus to cover and participate in. To create an image of unity and support for the patients with ALS means more to them than words can depict.

Both Katie and Niall have personal experiences with ALS and were really overjoyed by the support given to them by their classmates and community. Next year they hope to return to the event and have it be even bigger than this year.

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.