kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to the Summer Before my Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

An open letter to the summer before my freshman year of college, 

The summer before my freshman year of college holds a very special place in my heart. I created connections with people I never thought I would. I felt happiness and comfort in a time that was chaotic and changing. I felt love in ways I had never felt before, and in a completely different way to love and to be loved.

To the friends I had, you hold a special place in my heart forever. Wherever life takes us, whether  it keeps us together or pulls us apart, the amount of love I have for you is never ending. You taught me how to be loved. What it meant to be loved by friends and how to love friends back. We all have different love languages, but somehow, we made sure that everyone never went without love. The inside jokes, the playlists, roadtrips, and even the days we spent working at the pier together are forever special. Not only because I was happy and not because we were always having fun, but because I never felt alone. No matter what happened, I knew I had a support system that was rock solid. From breakups, family problems or anything that was bothering me, you were all always there. I cannot thank you enough for teaching me everything you have. I would not be the person I am today without our friendship, and I am so thankful for that.You taught me how to love. But not in the romantic way – you taught me love in a way I hadn’t before. You taught me how to love friendship and how to love life. Friendship had never come easy to me, and yet, with you all it was something that came so easily. I learned to defend our friendship,to cherish what we had. I learned how to intimate, but not physically. I learned Thank you for making me the person I am today. Thank you for being my family, and teaching me the importance of friendship. 

To my family, we may not be perfect, but that summer I had endless support. Even when I was wrong, and when I messed up, I felt loved and supported. Not only were you my family, but you all became friends. You helped me adult, which is something I never could do by myself. Thank you for being supportive, for being my friends, and always being my home no matter where I was. 

This summer was something that changed me entirely. I grew into a person I never thought I would, in ways both good and bad. While there were bad memories of this summer, the summer will forever be nostalgic to me. I gained confidence I never thought I would, and had everything I needed for myself at the time. Thank you for allowing me to grow into the person I am today. 

Class of 2022 International Relations and Public Health Major Peace and Justice Minor
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.