Omelettes, Bacon and Bruce Springsteen (A Playlist)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

I worked almost everyday this summer, whether it was a 10 hour day at two different summer camps or a 12 hour day with a catering company. No matter how early I had to wake up I ALWAYS made myself breakfast. And on those days where I did not have to wake up at the ass crack of dawn to get to work and no one else was home, I would throw this playlist on and dance around the kitchen while making breakfast. I usually made scrambled eggs, omelettes or egg sandwiches. Not only do I LOVE to cook, I have a deep love for this playlist and the time I’ve spent listening to it. Not only is it perfect for when you just wake up, but I also for long drives or when I am trying to calm down and go to sleep. My dad and I have spent countless hours in the kitchen cooking all types of meals together and these are some of my favorite memories with him. You can find this playlist on my spotify entitled “breakfast” and a longer version with 60 songs entitled “the breakfast playlist”

So this one is for you Dad, you probably didn’t know I did this all summer or that I took this photo of you, but thank you for always being the best short order cook and dad I could ask for.

1. Something In The Way She Moves- James Taylor

I was raised knowing every James Taylor song ever. He was played at every family gathering or any long car ride we went on as kids. Listening to him always makes me think of both of my parents. Taylor’s voice is soft and kind as he sings about a girl who he has been “around” for a long time and he is perfectly okay with her staying forever. “And I feel fine anytime she’s around me now, she’s around me now almost about all the time. And if I’m well you can tell she’s been with me now.”

2. Flowers In Your Hair- The Lumineers

I just really love this song, I’m not quite sure why. The beat is playful and the way the image of a girl with flowers in her hair is beautiful. The Lumineers in general are great for a chill night or a long drive.

“So now I think that I could love you back

And I hope it’s not too late

‘Cause you’re so attractive

And the way you move

I won’t close my eyes”

3. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough- Marvin Gaye

CLASSIC JAM. Throw this song on in a car full of people, turn the volume up to 11 and scream these lyrics because everyone and their mother knows them. This song is legendary in Remember The Titans–we all remember the locker room scene. Long Live Sunshine, you beautiful boy. Come on, I know that link made you smile.

4.Record Year- Eric Church

I really love this song. Eric Church has always been a favorite artist of mine, he’s a huge badass. Every once in awhile he comes out with a slower song and it is literally always good. “I usually make it through Saturday’s sober, all bets are off once I flip her over. One bourbon, one scotch, one beer I’m having a record year.” In this cong Church talks about a girl leaving and how he has had a “record year” because of it. Basically the best way to remind someone you don’t need them is to be so much better without them. “If you find your way back, I owe you a beer for my record year” BURN!!!

5. Glory Days- Bruce Springsteen

One of the greatest songs ever written, of all time, by far. This is the song that made me fall in love with Bruce Springsteen—yes, I am in love with him. My dad has seen him literally 100 times and I personally have seen him three times (and counting). Our family travels all over to see Bruce, my brother even traveled to Europe to watch him perform. I would probably marry the young Bruce pictured below.

“And I hope when I get old I don’t sit around thinking about it

but I probably will

Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture

a little of the glory of, well time slips away

and leaves you with nothing mister but

boring stories of glory days”

6. Dog Days Are Over- Florence + The Machine

The catchy cute little piano beat in the beginning always makes me want to get up and dance. I just wanna shake and boogie!! The dog days are over—hopefully. Perfect for turning up the volume and screaming with your friends. 

7. Catch & Release (Deepend Remix)- Matt Simons

Shoutout to KT Farrell for bringing this song into my life. It is one of my top 10 favorite songs. It has a great drop and it is by far the most perfect song to do a road bowl to, if you know what I mean.

8. Wild Child- Kenny Chesney

Honestly hearing this live this summer was life changing. Kenny Chesney is such a timeless, sentimental artist to me. I love the poetic nature of this song and Grace Potter made it the perfect collaboration. My favorite line in the song is:

“She’ll be here until she runs

Some just have to chase the sun”

9. For You- Bruce Springsteen

Here’s another Bruce story for you just in case my obsession wasn’t clear enough before. August 27th rolls around, Bruce Springsteen is playing at MetLife Stadium. We live in Syracuse, New York, which is about a 4 hour drive. We drove 4 hours to the concert, stayed 4 hours for the concert, drove 4 hours home. Then the next day drove 2 hours and then 2 more the next to get me to school. I have never done more traveling in my life. All we listened to was Bruce, the entire time. This is probably in my top five favorite Bruce Springsteen songs.

10. Stay- Mac Miller

Divine Feminine (album review soon to come) is so beautiful, it’s dreamy, airy and just perfect. This is a completely different sound from the usual Mac Miller and I accept it with open arms. He does some crazy symphony, saxophone stuff on this album which reminds me of the type of music I grew up with. Take all the instruments from my childhood songs and mashes them together with a modern rap taste: out comes the Divine Feminine. He’s dating Ariana Grande and I really haven’t seen anything cuter than their instagrams together. Although the ending gets a little weird, if you listen you’ll get it, just skip it.

He just put out the music video to this song too. 

How cute are their Halloween costumes?

11. Banana Pancakes- Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson definitely smokes a ton of weed. Sorry, it had to be said. Like this guys is stoned asking for banana pancakes. But really this song is super cute.

“We could close the curtains

Pretend like there’s no world outside”

At one point he says “Just so easy when the whole world fits inside of your arms,” and you’re like awww how cute. I would love to have pancakes with Jack Johnson though lol.

12. Valerie- Amy Winehouse

The Amy Winehouse version is definitely the best version of this song. RIP Amy Winehouse, what if we still had her in music? Shit would be wild. “Won’t you come on over, stop making a fool out of me. Why don’t you come on over Valerie?” She absolutely kills these vocals.

13. Fast Car- Tracy Chapman

Always play this song while it’s raining and you’re driving on the highway, I would if it was raining on my drive to work. It makes you feel something, obviously sing loudly if you know the words. The story this song tells is actually so tragic. “Your arms felt nice wrapped around my shoulders.”

14. I Try- Macy Gray

Another classic banger. I love this song. “My world crumbles when you are not near.” “I’m just a prisoner of your love,” lol Macy Gray you wild. But really she has one of the most unique voices I’ve ever heard, shoutout to all the girls out there with a raspy voice like mine and Macy’s.

15. I Hope You Dance- Lee Ann Womack

If you don’t lose your breath singing this song you didn’t sing loud enough. There is no max volume this song can be played on. It is never loud enough. The message is also so f***ing beautiful. “WHEN YOU GET THE CHOICE TO SIT IT OUT OR DANCE, I HOPE YOU DANCE”

Damn Lee Ann Womack circa 2000 was a babe.

16. Something Like Olivia- John Mayer

I wish my name was Olivia sometimes so I could say this song was about me. So I’ll probably name my daughter Olivia so she’ll have that privledge. John Mayer is a babe too, but he’s also a huge asshole so… “I’m not trying to steal no love away from no man, but if Olivia herself we’re at my door I’d have to say I’d let her in.” Slick John, real slick.

17. Juke Jam- Chance the Rapper

When this album came out I jammed to it all the time so I had to give it some love. I love how cute Chance is on this song. Also, Bieber was the PERFECT choice for this song, shoutout to Hannah. My favorite line is

“But when they play “Take You Down”, Chris Brown, I am his stand-in

I mean it’s just dancing

It’s harmless as f***”

18. Sherry Darling- Bruce Springsteen

And finally I had to end with my favorite Bruce song ever. He played this at MetLife and we went crazy. Did I mention I went to this concert with just my dad and older brother? Yeah it was a great time. About 15 seconds before the band was going to play this song BOTH my dad and my brother leaned into me and said “Sherry Darling next” and then I waited 10 seconds and he started playing it and needless to say I was mind blown.

“Well I got some beer and the highway’s free

And I got you, and baby you got me

Hey, hey, hey what you say Sherry Darlin'”

Until next time, stay cooking.

"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you have red hair. People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is" -Anne of Green Gables
CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.