Amelia Kramer-Golden Hour Road Trip
Amelia Kramer-Golden Hour Road Trip
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

New Song Suggestions for Closeted Country Fans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

I’ll say it. I like Country music. I found out from my teammates and friends that this is not a popular opinion to have. I’ll admit, Country music may not be for everyone, as it can be somewhat of an acquired taste. Growing up in Central Minnesota, you either listened to Country music or Classic Rock, so of course I learned to like both. Don’t get me wrong, I like lots of kinds of music other than Country or Rock. However, moving to Vermont for college was a bit of a shock for me music wise, because I realized that not everyone has Country or Rock on in their car radios at all times. That being said, I know that you country fans are out there, or maybe there are those of you out there who would be willing to give country music a shot. I realize that Country has the image of being all about drinking, trucks, and women, sometimes all in the same song. While there are those tunes (they are not my favorite), there are a ton of other selections out there for those who still like the music with a little twang. Here are ten songs for those country fans, or people willing to give country a go, that are somewhat off the “beaten path” of what one would think Country music sounds like.

1. “All Over Again” by The Shires

2. “Martha Divine” by Ashley McBryde

3. “The Things That Wrecks You” by Lady Antebellum

4. “I Hope” by Gabby Barrett

5. “Burning House” by Cam

6. “Fly” Maddie & Tae

7. “Whiskey Lullaby” Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss

8. “Ocean” by Lady Antebellum

9. “Voodoo Doll” by Ashley McBryde

10. “Dancin’ Away With My Heart” by Lady Antebellum

Hi! I'm Grace, a History and Secondary Education Major from Minnesota. In addition to writing for HerCampus, I'm also a member of the SMC Cross Country Running team, Nordic Ski team, and the String Orchestra. Oh yah, you betcha!
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.