This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

I’m sure many of you saw the headline, “Schitt’s Creek Sweeps 2020 Emmys!” This lesser known Canadian sitcom won every comedy category, including Best Comedy Series.

I don’t typically follow television and movie trends. People are shocked when I say I haven’t seen Game of Thrones or Stranger Things. I have never seen Forrest Gump and you’d have to pay me to watch Dirty Dancing again (sorry!). I used to think the only trendy entertainment that wasn’t overhyped was Hamilton. That was until I watched Schitt’s Creek. 

Schitt’s Creek is simply THAT GOOD. It is more than a comedy, the characters are compelling and the audience gets the pleasure of watching them evolve on screen. Show writer and actor, Dan Levy describes the show as, “a celebration of love.” I would say he is spot on. 

For those who don’t know, Schitt’s Creek is a sitcom created by father and son, Eugene and Dan Levy. If Eugene Levy sounds familiar to you, you’ve probably seen American Pie or Cheaper By The Dozen 2 (yes, the sequel with Carmen Electra). The father-son duo star in the show alongside Catherine O’Hara and Annie Murphy (both took home Emmys). Schitt’s Creek follows the wealthy Rose family. Johnny Rose, family patriarch and owner of Rose Video gets himself into a bad deal financially and loses all of his wealth. Johnny, his wife Moira, and their two adult children are forced to leave their glamorous lives and move to “Schitt’s Creek”, a town that Johnny bought as a joke 20 years earlier. The town is for all intents and purposes, a shit hole, so the name is fitting. The show begins with the Rose family’s hilarious attempt to acclimate to their new home, an abandoned motel. However, as the show progresses, the family meets some wonderful people in “Schitt’s Creek” and their characters begin to recognize the value in their relationships. 

This show makes my day every time I watch it. It is funny, clever, and at times emotional. I must confess that I binged all of it in quarantine on Netflix. In order not to spoil the entire plot, here are 2 reasons why you should binge watch Schitt’s Creek right now. 

1. The writing and the characters are seriously hilarious. Each member of the Rose family has countless, quotable one liners. Dan Levy took a run of the mill riches to rags story and gave it perfectly timed comedic elements. My mom, my step dad, and I all watch it together. All of us are laughing our asses off. By the end of season 5, I could do impressions of all of the characters, so I gained a party trick from watching Schitt’s Creek as well. Schitt’s Creek is the perfect escape from the stress of our lives. Life doesn’t get much better than laughing for 25+ minutes a day. 

2. This show is beautifully inclusive and celebrates the best values. David Rose, played by Dan Levy, is openly pansexual. His sexual orientation is never addressed on the show as something unusual or controversial. His sexual orientation is never a storyline. His family and the community around him are accepting. David is an eccentric character. His humor and heart for other people are the most important things about him. Schitt’s Creek features people of color and LGBTQ+ actors. This show encapsulates acceptance and inclusivity that the media needs a lot more of these days. 

Schitt’s Creek is truly a celebration of love. The actors are real life family and friends, their love for each other is palpable through the screen. So, yes, Schitt’s Creek certainly deserved all those Emmys. Watch it on Netflix or Pop TV…thank me later!

Sophomore at Saint Michael’s College from Marblehead, MA. I’m a Public Health major & Anthropology minor! I love to sing and I am a proud member of SMC AcaBellas!
NH native majoring in International Relations and Environmental Studies, and plays field hockey. Loves the outdoors, coffee, maple granola, traveling, live music, and being excited over the smallest things in life.