This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Over this past summer, I worked at a local beach and had long days with lots of extra time on my hands. This lead to copious amounts of reading, most of which consisted of John Irving novels. John Irving is the New Hampshire based author responsible for works such as “The World According to Garp,” “Setting Free the Bears,” and “Cider House Rules,” just to name a few. Prior to this summer, I had never read any of Irving’s books, but my mom suggested that I read one of her favorites, “A Prayer for Owen Meany.” While it took me a little while to get into, by the time I was halfway through I couldn’t put it down. I can now honestly say that it is one my favorite books of all time. I don’t want to spoil anything for those who have not yet read it, so instead of discussing the plot, I’m simply going to identify what exactly makes Owen Meany such a unique, interesting, and unmatched character and one that I think everyone should know.

Owen Meany is described throughout the book in some interesting ways. From his voice to his stature, Owen stands out from a crowd. He is described as small and mousy, but not in a bad way, instead in a way that seems to be very endearing to everyone he meets. This is very unlike his voice, which can only seem to be described as terrible in every way. It’s small things like this that make a reader almost incapable of imagining what Owen could possibly be like in real life. In this way, Irving creates a mysterious and god-like figure whom the reader simply cannot tear themselves away from. From the very beginning, the reader realizes that Owen is wise beyond his years: he is stubborn, determined, highly intelligent, and possesses a fervent passion for religion that leads him to think of himself as “God’s instrument.” While Owen’s own storyline provides much of what distinguishes him as such an interesting character, there are many things outside of it that distinguish him as special as well. Throughout the book, Owen proves to be one of the most loyal and trustworthy people imaginable, and an unwavering companion to his friend, John.

Overall, “A Prayer for Owen Meany” was a book that drew me in like few others have. I am a huge fan of Irving’s style of writing and the pace at which the plot unfolds. As a person who’s infamous for getting halfway through a book and never quite finishing it, this is one that I just couldn’t put down. If you haven’t already read “A Prayer for Owen Meany,” I highly suggest that you not only read it once, but over and over again. This is a book that is filled with endless symbolism and twists. You’ll notice something new every time.

Sources

Cover Photo: https://studybreaks.com/2017/08/30/4-nonfiction-books-for-the-aspiring-journalist/

Source 1: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4473.A_Prayer_for_Owen_Meany

Source 2: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/304696731012805853/?lp=true

Connecticut girl currently residing in Vermont as a senior at Saint Michael's College. English major with a love for writing, running, skiing, and all things Broadway. 
CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.