This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Hometown: Warwick, New York

Major: Media Studies & Digital Arts with a Business minor

YOG: 2020

Fun Fact: I am the only one in my family with red hair (strawberry blonde)

(I have a hidden talent of armpit farting)

HC: Why did you choose SMC?

SO: I originally came to SMC for the Alpine ski team. I was an alpine ski racer since i was about 7 or 8 and since the 7th grade i have been going to ski academy’s. When I became a sophomore in high school I decided to go to Waterville Valley Ski Academy so skiing was a huge part of my life. I am no longer racing but I also like SMC because of the small knit-community feel and how nice the campus is!

HC: What are you involved with in the SMC community?

SO: Occasionally I take photos for the Defender and I also work in the library!

HC: Are you excited for junior year?

SO: I am super excited! But of course i’m also nervous because i’ll be living in a new country for about 3 months!

HC: If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

SO: Because of skiing (and because of vacations) I have had the opportunity to travel the world already! For skiing i have gone to Austria twice, Chile twice, Canada, and out west a ton of times. I have gotten the opportunity to travel to Europe three times and have seen many different countries, from Italy to Greece and Turkey! I could keep going on my travels but spring of my Junior year I will be studying abroad in Seville, Spain and im super excited to live in a new culture and learn Spanish! One day I would love to travel to Thailand, New Zealand and Argentina because i’d love to see and experience the beautiful cultures. I have been to the Caribbean about 3 times also, but a lot of my traveling is because of cruises and I also went on a People to People student ambassador trip in the 8th grade and bussed around Europe for 3 weeks.

HC: What are your plans for the summer?

SO: This May I am going on vacation to the Dominican Republic for 10 days but other than that i’ll just be lifeguarding and making money for when I study abroad!

MA → VT • Saint Michael's College Class of 2020 • Elementary Education & Journalism