This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

The recent election has certainly made its mark on our nation’s history. With the news that our 2020 presidential election had been called, many of us experienced a joy that we haven’t felt in quite some time. Many took to the streets in celebration, feeling a sense of hope that has gone unnoticed these past few months. With the results of the election came a glimpse of a future more promising than where we currently exist. We saw images of unity painted across the nation, as neighbors stood together to celebrate one another. We saw our country in a state of rejoice. For just a moment, America seemed to breathe a bit more easily. But for women across the globe, this victory holds a rather special significance. It is a victory that means so many different things to women all over the country. Madam Vice President Harris – a force of nature. A pioneer in every sense. The first female, first Black, and first Asian American Vice President that America has seen in its time. The daughter of immigrants. The first HBCU graduate. The epitome of what it means to break barriers with class and dignity. In many ways, Kamala Harris is a manifestation of the equal and just America that so many of us have been longing to meet. She is a tangible, living image to young girls across the nation who have yet to see a woman assume one of the highest offices in the country. She is a message to young boys and girls who have endured four years of hateful and racist behavior, and who have been told that their existence is not welcomed based on the color of their skin. She is a voice for the voiceless – an advocate for those whose efforts for change go unnoticed. Harris is a symbol for women across the globe who will no longer tolerate hatred based on their gender or sexuality. But most of all, Kamala Harris is an image of progress. Our work is far from over – in fact, it has just begun. The inequalities and division still remain, and we have a long journey ahead of ourselves indeed. But for this moment, America has seen a glimmer of hope. 

Senior at Saint Michael's College majoring in Public Health with a Chemistry minor. Lover of good people and the great outdoors.
NH native majoring in International Relations and Environmental Studies, and plays field hockey. Loves the outdoors, coffee, maple granola, traveling, live music, and being excited over the smallest things in life.