This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Before I begin my article I would love to share a quote from one of the best movies in cinematic history (in my opinion) 

“Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion’s starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it’s not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it’s always there – fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge – they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around.”

It’s been awhile since I found the courage or a passion of mine to write about, because to be very honest I’ve been a bit gloomy about the state of the world. I used to love writing articles about things I was passionate about, things I want to change about the world, but the only thing that really changed was my perspective on them. I began to only focus on the hate in our world, the greed, and inaction of our world’s most powerful leaders. I felt that my words of hope and kindness and love were no match for their weapons of hate. I became so consumed with all the hate in the world that I didn’t even notice all the love that was all around me. Sometimes I think in order to change the world I need to do something big and incredible and out of this world. And I still plan to do that (Molly Nemes 2036), but I forgot about all the little things that can be just as powerful. I had forgotten how powerful it was to just believe in love. 

We need to believe in love again. It’s there, it’s everywhere, we just need to open our eyes to see it. It’s in the hat your mom made you wear because its cold out, it’s in the chocolate you bought your friend because you knew they were having a bad day, it’s in the “text me when you get there”, it’s even in the lectures you get when you fall down a slippery slope; it’s everywhere.  Furthermore, in order for us to truly make the world a better place we have to commit to loving someone that we have never met. Whether it be the stranger who needs the door held, the shy classmate that needs a friend, or the future generations that need our action. I haven’t met the future generations, most of whom I will never meet, but I already love them, and I know that they deserve more than the cards that they will be dealt with if we do nothing and give into hate. While these small actions don’t seem like they can do a lot, they bring hope and love into a world that is being consumed by hate. Love is one of the most powerful things in the world. I know that’s cheesy and unoriginal, but it’s true and I’m going to have faith in it come what may, and I hope you do the same. 

With all my love, 

Molly 

My Name is Molly 
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.