nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

These days everyone is so caught up in their physical appearance. It is all about the latest trend, what you wear, what kind of makeup you use, and let’s face it- how skinny you are. We’re scrolling through Instagram, comparing ourselves to others and wishing to achieve unrealistic expectations. An experience everyone encounters at some point in time is when you look at yourself in a mirror and point out all of the things you wish you could change. I can certainly say that I have done it. Deleting social media apps is one thing, but what about the times you’re standing in front of a mirror, looking at your reflection? What if there was no mirror to see that reflection?

About four months ago in early June, I was plopped down in the middle of the Canaan Valley in New Hampshire with minimal phone service, a trunk full of clothes, no makeup and only one mirror in the many bathrooms that were provided. Even if this sounds disastrous, I must say that I had the pleasure of working at a sleepaway camp this past summer. Now normally I would not mind these absences, but living in our culture has trained me to believe that I need these things in my everyday life. 

It was a hard transition. I was unable to see the latest trends, did not hear anything about any celebrity, and I did not compare myself to those I follow on instagram. As time went on, I stopped wearing makeup, did not pick out my outfit the night before, and I realized I had not seen my reflection in a mirror all by week three. On my day off, I walked passed a car and did a double take. It was surreal to say the least. I did not realize I would not miss my reflection at all. At that moment I made a challenge for myself to see how long I could go without looking at myself in a mirror. It became pretty easy after that. It was not hard to train myself to not look up while washing my hands after using the bathroom or check my hair each time I would leave my cabin. It was not hard, but it did take time. For the first time in a long time, I felt as if a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I was not worried about what I looked like, if I had a massive pimple on my face and I was really feeling myself. I wore what I wanted to and at least once a day someone commented on how bright my smile has been. I felt like I was the healthiest I have ever been. I think it is all because I did not stare into my reflection, pointing out all of my “flaws”.

I believe I had the best summer because I did not look at my reflection. Now, I am not saying everyone should go out into the world and throw out their mirrors, because I certainly did not do that when I came back to school. However, when I came back I did notice a change in my mood. Everyday I would get up and be right back where I started, looking into a mirror and pointing out my flaws. It is hard to feel like a badass when you can see your tan fading, stress acne appearing and summer body changing. However, these things don’t make you any less beautiful. I am still trying to find a happy medium. Something that is not as primal as being without a mirror, but I definitely do not want to stare at my reflection 24/7. Now, I choose to wear makeup on the weekends, I do not look at the mirror when I wash my hands and I have my towel hanging on a hook that covers the mirror on my door. 

So if you want a challenge, try to go without a mirror for one day. If you wake up one morning feeling yourself, choose to not stare into the mirror and point out “flaws”. Continue being the badass you are.

aspiring world traveler, adventure seeker and media studies major at Saint Michael's College.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.