This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It seems as though talk of body shaming is becoming more and more prevalent in the lives of women today. Media constantly places unrealistic expectations on females via our favorite celebrities and television. Before the thought of dismissing such degrading messages even has the chance to cross our minds, self doubt spreads like wildfire and insecurity becomes an epidemic. Luckily, some celebrities are taking the road less traveled in order to expose and stand against such degradement. They’ve realized that the shape of a woman’s body does not define the character or potential within. Here are a few confidence-inducing women that will reassure you that you rock!    

Oprah Winfrey

We all know Oprah loves bread. She makes that pretty clear when she stares into the souls of prospective Weight Watchers and preaches the grain rather than the gospel. But how is one of America’s most watched talk show hosts so confident in her admiration for such a carb-loaded food? After enduring body image insecurities of her own, Oprah came to the realization that she is not her body. She says, “It is indeed a miracle when you realize the fullness of who you are. You’re not your body, and for sure you’re not your body image.” You are your goals, your values, and your happiness; embrace it!    

Melissa McCarthy

Being one of female comedy’s biggest icons, Melissa McCarthy has endured her share of body shaming. She has gone through a multiplicity of critics and reporters that tell her she is only a good actress when she looks attractive. The meaning of the word “attractive” is an irrelevant factor in categorizing one’s success as it is nothing more than an opinion. Despite this unnecessary criticism, McCarthy has won several awards and was the first female to win MTV’s Comedic Genius Award. Her weight or size of her body did not interfere with her ability to chase her own dreams and she hopes young women can see this as an inspiration. Earlier this year, McCarthy posted the following image with a very empowering caption. It reads: “We have to stop categorizing and judging women based on their bodies. We are teaching young girls to strive for unattainable perfection instead of feeling healthy and happy in their own skin. ‘Imagine we are linked not ranked.’ Gloria Steinem.”

Jennifer Lawrence

Jennifer Lawrence is one of the most constantly hungry and food-loving celebrities of today. She is always talking about eating. She showed up to the Academy Awards and asked, “Is there food here?” The girl does not care what her body looks like a long as her taste buds are happy. She wants girls to feel comfortable in their own skin while still being real with themselves. Everyone deserves their own plate of fries and bowl of ice cream that their little heart desires. She emphasizes that exercise is important, but it does not have to restrict one’s dietary cravings. Lawrence says that she “would like us to make a new normal-body type; a happy one.” Her favorite pizza concoction is a great first step:

Love who you are, love what you do, and, most importantly, love what you eat!      

Image sources:

Image 1: https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7ZeFpK0qqSpsWNsA/giphy.gif

Image 2: http://images.thehollywoodgossip.com/iu/s–7qNJqu_y–/t_xlarge_l/f_auto,…  

Image 3: https://media.giphy.com/media/RxWfDjTRHwJwY/giphy.gif

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.