This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Over our February break, I went to New York with a good friend. Being from a small town in Massachusetts, I had always found the city to be overwhelming. There were simply too many people going in too many directions. The mere idea of the subway was frightening to me. Yet, despite all this, there was something so exciting and glamorous about the city. This trip helped eradicate some of those fears about busy city life. In fact, I left with a love of New York, and can’t wait to get back soon. But, to enjoy it, it’s really important to know what to do when you get there. So, I compiled a list of my favorite things we did on this trip, and included some things I’ve done there in the past.

The Morgan Museum

Located at 225 Madison Avenue, the Morgan is a beautiful and quant museum. Look inside the study of J.P. Morgan and gaze at his massive book collections, as well as the articulate details of the rooms. Currently, there is a J.R.R.  Tolkien exhibit that includes his original drawings, letters, art supplies, and family portraits. I visited this and was blown away by it. It is only on display until May, so I highly recommend getting there soon!

The Brooklyn Bridge

I visited the bridge last summer when I visited the city. I didn’t expect too much going into it. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful views and excitement around it. It’s fun to walk across with friends, especially if it’s a little warmer outside.

Thrift Shopping in Brooklyn

Okay, I’ll admit it: I am not a huge fan of thrift shopping. I always get frustrated when I can’t find good things and give up far too quickly. However, in Brooklyn, there was such a plethora of great thrift stores that I left with amazing new shirts. There are different ones for every budget, and lots of fun, quirky things inside. Definitely make sure to do your research before you go to know which are the most popular and located nearby.

Black Tap Restaurant

My friends and I visited her for dinner one night in the summer. This restaurant is known for its outlandish and delicious milkshakes. Be prepared to wait in line as it is always packed. However, the wait is really worth it. We split two – a salty, sweet combination and a cookie flavor – and both were amazing. They also serve a variety of burgers and other comfort food for meals, but really, the milkshakes are the best part.

There is an infinite amount of fun things to do in New York City. Whether you’re spending a weekend there or just a day, go in with a plan. This is the best way to ensure you don’t get overwhelmed and waste time figuring out what to do.

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.