Fear of an Abrupt Semester and Learning to Find The Silver Lining in Goodbyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard” -Winnie the Pooh

This is one of my favorite quotes of all time.  I am sure many of you know it, but I want to hone in on its significance during the tumultuous state that the world currently is in.  Being a senior in college as the pandemic erupts can be challenging. The semester we have all looked forward to, one of the last carefree times in our lives before we enter into the “real world” has begun to slip from our grasp.  Since Coronavirus has become a pandemic, many universities have decided to transition into online courses in order to combat the spread of the virus. This can be a hard hit for many who have been looking forward to this time for so many months, but is also extremely important for the greater good and those who are most susceptible across the world.  All one can do is hope that as a globalized world, we can manage the virus well enough to save as many people as possible. This can be hard to see during a time that is supposed to be so wonderful, carefree, and memorable, but it is important to remember that this time isn’t about us Seniors, but is about so much more than that. We have a responsibility to each other, those we know, and those we will never meet. I have been reminding myself that I am so lucky to have been able to experience what I have during my undergrad, and have been so lucky to have met all of the incredible people around me.  We all need to remind ourselves that we are so fortunate to have been able to attend the colleges and universities that we have. We have had something so wonderful for the last few years that saying goodbye hurts more than one could imagine, but the fact that it hurts means that it has been worthwhile. During this hard time it is important to find the silver linings that still remain, and to feel thankful that the thought of loss only means that you love and are loved. To all those who have been negatively affected by the pandemic, I wish you nothing but a speedy recovery. And to other seniors out there, do your part and remember that this is bigger than us. Be thankful to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.

Environmental warrior and aspiring Congress woman! Here to spread positivity and hit the world with realness. Always.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.