This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

At the end of 2018, I found myself exhausted. I was involved in a lot, always doing homework or studying, and trying to maintain a social life. I felt the need to always be busy. I find this is the case for a lot of students. Think about it: when your professor stops in the hallway to ask how your semester is going, how do you usually respond? Without even hesitating, I always utter “Busy… but good!” Busyness becomes habitual. We don’t take time to stop and breathe because, if we do, we might be late for something or miss an opportunity. This isn’t to say we should lose our ambition and spend all day lounging around doing nothing (although we all should indulge in a day like this every once in a while). However, it should be something we reflect on. Is it really good for your emotional, physical, and mental health to be frequently in a tizzy over how much you have to do? I know for me it isn’t.

This notion is particularly important to remember at the start of a new semester. We come back from a break feeling refreshed and ready to take on our days. We soon fill up all our time with different jobs (on and off campus), extracurricular activities, sports and practices, study sessions, volunteering, and much more. By a few weeks in, we are already sleep deprived and worn out. And then, by committing to so much, it’s too late to back out. We feel as if we have to stay busy to stay productive or to even compete with our peers.

This cycle repeats every semester. For me, I know it doesn’t take too long before being busy becomes draining. Don’t get me wrong: busyness can also be a good thing. It can be a distraction, or even encouraging at points. However, busyness is only good if we also incorporate rest into it. We cannot go all the time and expect to be our bests. It’s important to also take time to just watch Netflix, read a book, or do whatever makes you happy. We can commit ourselves to all the things we want only if we are also caring for our wellbeing.

Self-care is something I wanted to make a priority in the new year. Many students often forget its importance. Yet, if we expect our semesters to be busy, we need to compensate for that. This starts with not feeling guilty about taking a break or asking for help. I don’t want to be overwhelmed by busyness. Instead, I want to make small changes to practice wellness regardless of being busy. For me, this may include doing 5 minutes of yoga or meditation in the morning before I start my day. For you, it may mean lots of different things: going for a walk, taking yourself to lunch, or enjoying a cup of tea without any distractions.  I hope you make this choice, too!

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/yoga-wellness-retreats-every-kind-yogi/

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.