Changes Theme week
Changes Theme week
Rachael Prescott
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Today and every other day for the foreseeable future is all about change. And that is OKAY! Although gloomy and disappointing, all things come to an end eventually, so entering a state of duress about the pandemic will not change anything. So how about we channel some of our stressors into positive actions! For today’s article I am reflecting on what my family, friends, and I have done to minimize bad stress, and promote positive changes/actions in our lives. 

1. Workout: 

1. Everyone in my inner circle has taken to some form of exercise recently. Whether it be walking, weight training, cardio, body-weight workouts, or running. This is a great way to misdirect stress and use it towards something productive [and who doesn’t LOVE the endorphin rush that comes with it :) ]

2. Art: 

1. Art is a great mindless activity to do if you are feeling stressed with your thoughts. Drawing, painting, flipping clothes in your closet, or making decorations for your room are a great productive outlet which can misdirect/ repurpose stress, provide pride in yourself, and be relaxing

1. Journaling:

1. Are you a planner that is worried about something, or just generally more anxious in your current environment? Journaling is a great way to check-in with yourself mentally and determine what you are unhappy about and what will make you more fulfilled. Determining these things are the first steps to deciding what you can do to achieving fulfillment, even if it is the smallest thing like establishing a morning self-care routine. 

1. Make a schedule: 

1. Everyone’s schedule is unique, and now that we have plenty of time to do it, what is stopping us from creating our own. A schedule does not have to be set in stone, and it can be different every day. What I do often is use the free app, Remente and type in everything I want to do that day, and if you change your mind you can move it to another day. Even just writing things down that I have to do helps me realize what I would like to make time for. 

1. Call your friends: 

1. I know I miss my college, friends and even my close friends that live five minutes away that I cannot see, so I am sure you do too. Use zoom, facetime, skype anything, having people to talk to (not about COVID-19) can be a healthy outlet and escape from school and other stressors. 

1. Cook/Bake something:

1. I am a serial stress baker. When I bake I am never stressed by the end because I am proud that I finished something structured, have fuel to do whatever task(s) I need to finish, and have taken a healthy mental break. Now is a great time to sharpen your cooking/baking skills and learn something new. 

We’ve got this everyone! Do the things you love, what keeps you happy, and what keeps you healthy, all while social distancing :). 

I am a Biology Major at Saint Michael's College on a premedical track. I am part of the varsity field hockey team on campus. My interests include, fitness, reading, science, and fashion.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.