jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Burlington Farmer’s Market: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Every summer since 1980, there has been a gathering of local vendors in City Hall Park in Burlington, Vermont. With over 90 stands, it is one of the largest, most varied Farmer’s Markets in the area. Farmer’s Markets are essential to many people’s view of Vermont. They can encapsulate the best things that Vermont has to offer—fresh produce, homemade treats, local artistry in various forms, and a sense of community that is often impossible to replicate.

The Burlington Farmer’s Market has all of these things in spades. It goes far beyond a couple of small stalls with limited offerings—on the contrary, there are multiple stalls for most things. A minimum of three lemonade stands, several cheese booths (Sweet Rowan Farmstead is a personal favorite), bakeries with both savory and sweet options, countless produce choices, and more ethnic food than you could possibly try in one visit. Are you looking for some fresh flowers to liven up your dim dorm room? With at least two flowers stalls, you will have to narrow it down— there are definitely no shortage of potential options!

The Burlington Farmer’s Market highlights the diversity that the city has to offer—do you want to try some authentic Vietnamese cuisine? There’s a stall for that. How about a local, grass-fed sausage-dog? There’s a stall for that, too—oh, and the sauerkraut is homemade, of course. How about jam? Well, what kind? Do you want regular red-berry jam, dandelion jam, a citrus marmalade, or maybe a strawberry—you get my point. Looking for a sweet treat? Look no further. The fresh cider doughnuts are incomparable. Not in the mood for that? Go next door and find something more to your taste.

I think you can tell what I’m getting at. If you go to the Burlington Farmer’s Market, you will undoubtedly be able to find something you will enjoy. Even more likely is the possibility that you will find too much that you like, and will have to go back multiple times! If you are looking to go a little outside of your comfort zone and try new things, this is the place for you. In the summer, it has a lovely atmosphere, with college kids and families alike walking around, often with their very cute puppies. It is a great stress reliever, and a wonderful break from homework.

When the scenic beauty of Burlington is combined with people who make it so great, you get something really special—and that is something you aren’t going to want to miss. So, next weekend, go to the Farmer’s Market! Try something new, something you maybe didn’t even realize existed (Nettle Cheese? That’s a thing?!), and absorb the character that this great college town has to offer.

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.