This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

The United States is homogenizing more and more every day, and that allows us the opportunity to be inspired by cultures that we do not identify with on a personal level, but can appreciate through popularized trends. Whether it be through celebrations and traditions, clothing styles and accessories, or food, we have the incredible privilege to expand our connections with the world around us. It is important, though, that the cultural background of popularized styles and trends are identifiable and credited to those who started them, particularly with trends rooted in Black culture. 

Historically, styles and trends associated with Black culture were looked down upon in the United States, that is until the trends were white-washed. This can be seen from hairstyles like box braids to the popularization of uniquely Black physical features like plump lips. These characteristics or styles were looked down upon until white people began viewing them as ideal on other white people. This appropriation of Black culture and identity is an oppressive tactic and needs to be identified among people following pop culture trends. So, here are some things that are trendy right now that are rooted in Black culture!

1. Hoop Earrings

Hoop earrings are one of the oldest accessories humans have worn, the first dating back approximately 4,500 years ago in Nubia, an ancient civilization located in modern-day Sudan. They were most often worn by Black and Latina women in the 1960s and 1970s as a symbol of female empowerment. It is one of the most popular symbols of Black culture in the United States, but it does come with some negative connotations, such as a popularized phrase regarding the size of hoop earrings. (That negative phrase has now been reclaimed as “the bigger the hoop, the bigger the love”)! It is important to remind ourselves that hoop earrings hold cultural significance for a lot of different cultures, and are by no means a “new” trend. When you wear hoops, recognize that they are symbols of empowerment for many groups of women and appreciate the origin of the gorgeous accessory.

2. Sneaker Culture

Sneaker culture is rooted in Black American culture, popularized in the 1980s by popular rap artists. Sneakers being worn as a fashion statement developed alongside popular Black music as a symbol of the Black community. In the transition of sneakers to pop culture, Black people have retained a lot of control over which sneakers are cool, but it is still important to remember where the trend comes from and how it developed. Sneakers continue to be a symbol of connection and belonging within the Black community.

3. Acrylic Nails

Originating in ancient Egypt where fake nails were made of ivory and gold, artificial nails were worn by queens like Cleopatra and were painted different bold colors like red to symbolize the wearer’s status and power. Black women have furthered the popularization of artificial nails in the United States, which took on a negative light before becoming a part of pop fashion culture. Long nails were falsely associated with the lower-class, unprofessionalism, or “trashiness,” while short nails were deemed more appropriate. The short nail style was typically worn by white women, so the negative association with long acrylic nails was based entirely on racism. Long nails have become a large part of our everyday fashion, and it is important to remember that they were not always viewed as trendy and stylish and that Black women are to be credited for their popularity.

4. Nameplate Jewelry

Chances are, you know someone who has a nameplate necklace, or maybe even owns one yourself. The trend of wearing (typically) gold necklaces displaying the wearer’s name in cursive was born out of Black culture as a coming-of-age symbol. Nameplate jewelry, though, has been white-washed, as the most popular reference for the “start” of the trend is when Sarah Jessica Parker’s character wears a nameplate necklace in Sex and the City (i.e. “Carrie necklaces”). This just goes to show that even if a popular trend began with Black women, it is not until a white woman displays an interest in the style that it gains traction, or makes a transition from “tacky” to “trendy.” Nameplate jewelry is a staple of Black culture and a unique proclamation of identity.

As you may have noticed, all of these fashion trends mentioned that we consider conventional were scooped out of Black culture by white people, where only after did they gain their popularity in the mainstream. It is important when following these trends listed and many others that we are aware of their origins, and how many people, especially women, of color were looked down upon for their fashion choices long before they were made popular. Appropriation of trends and styles is an occurrence that is significant, though not exclusive to Black culture, especially in the United States. It is essential to actively make the shift from appropriating Black culture to appreciating Black culture.

Happy Black History Month! 

Originally from Columbia, Missouri, she is a undergraduate student at Saint Michael’s College in Vermont. She is currently studying English and Political Science and hoping to become a published author of fiction in the near future. In her free time she enjoys creative writing, knitting, listening to music, and spending time with her dogs, Ollie and Oshie!
MA || VT || SMC Women's Soccer Player '21