This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

So I’m about a year late to this party by now, but better late than never amiright? Anywayyyy I recently started (and very quickly finished) watching the second season of American Crime Story. If you’re into true crime, horror, thrillers, or in my case, Darren Criss, this show will have you hooked.

The first season of American Crime Story premiered in early 2016 and was met with some pretty stellar reviews. It focused around the O.J. Simpson case and included some big name actors. I didn’t have a huge interest in tuning in to the first season, but when I heard that Darren Criss (mostly known as Blaine from Glee, give him a google search) was starring in the second edition…you know I wasn’t about to miss it.

The second season is entitled “The Assassination of Gianni Versace,” and focuses on the months and events leading up to the murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace outside his South Beach home. Darren Criss stars as serial killer Andrew Cunanan and boy oh boy is this different from anything he’s done before. However, I want to throw it out there that the actual murder of Gianni Versace was horribly tragic, and when I write about all this, I’m simply talking about the show alone. For anyone who finds true crime books and documentaries interesting, American Crime Story is a whole new take that blurs the line between fiction and reality, while giving a look into the mind of one of America’s most notorious serial killers.

It’s been awhile since I could really get into a show and solidly commit to binge watching it, but the crazy suspense, amazing scenery, and incredible writing of this one made it hard to tear myself away. In addition, if you’re a lifelong Criss fan like myself, there’s something super interesting about watching him play such a terrible character…how can someone look so perfect yet be so evil? So far it’s already won seven Emmys and two Golden Globes so I think it’s safe to say that it’s worth a watch.

Fair warning, this show is pretty violent and definitely not for the faint of heart…but for someone like me who’s a fan of both American Horror Story and Glee? It was truly the best of both worlds.  I’ve loved watching American Horror Story over the years and this show brought back the same kind of monochromatic eerie vibes that I know and love.

Image 1 and Cover Photo: https://www.amazon.com/Assassination-Gianni-Versace-American-Crime/dp/B078QP4RBW

Image 2: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/acs-versace-star-darren-criss-interview-dont-ask-dont-tell-episode-1084601

Image 3: https://mhamed-hassine-fantar.com/darren-criss-versace-glasses.html

Connecticut girl currently residing in Vermont as a senior at Saint Michael's College. English major with a love for writing, running, skiing, and all things Broadway. 
CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.