This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Hometown: Bedford, NH. I went to Catholic schools, though, so I’m more from Manchester, NH.

Major: Secondary Education and English, minor in Philosophy

YOG: 2018

HerCampus: What made you choose St. Mike’s?

Kerra Photiades: One, St. Mike’s has an awesome Education program. Two, I needed to be someplace beautiful with tons of different things to do all the time. It’s pretty much gorgeous here year round which I love and I can always find something to do either on campus or off campus! Whether it’s Church Street, skiing, hiking, Lake Champlain etc. this is an amazing area. Also there are so many opportunities here, and none of them are all-or-nothing so there’s a nice sense of balance between everything you do.

HC: What are you involved with here on campus?

KP: I am involved in Founder’s Society as a tour guide, Random Acts of Kindness Club, WWPV Radio Booth, Honors Program, HerCampus, and I just got word I’m going to be an Orientation Leader!

HC: What is your favorite thing about being a tour guide?

KP: Omigosh I love giving tours! Honestly, I think it would be receiving emails/hearing feedback of how my tour made a prospective student fall in love with St. Mike’s. I was at an Honors Breakfast here on campus a week or two ago and a girl I had on my tour like 4 months before recognized me and said that she hadn’t seriously considered St. Mike’s until my tour. It’s the best feeling.

HC: If you could tell a prospective student one thing, what would it be?

KP: Oh! I end all my tours with this: Remember that college isn’t just a place to study for four years, it’s also a place to make your home. Whether it’s at St. Mike’s or any other college, wherever you end up, I hope you find that! St. Mike’s has truly become that for me, a second home.

HC: What is your favorite spot in the Burlington / Winooski area?

KP: Umm do you know that cute coffee place on Church Street, Bluebird Coffee Stop? I absolutely adore coffee, and love this place, I think it is the most adorable spot on the whole street!

HC: What is your favorite spot on campus?

KP: My favorite spot on campus is definitely the Academic Courtyard in between St. Ed’s, Jeanmarie, and Cheray. I love how it’s just a little peaceful place enclosed from everything else. It’s also stunning in the summer/fall.

HC: If you could make every SMC student take one class, or have one specific professor, who / what class and why?

KP: Oh definitely Professor Robert Lair, he’s the man and any class with him will change your life. I had him for my first year sem and it was not only my favorite class for that semester, but also my favorite class that I have taken here thus far.