This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

WELCOME BACK SMC!!! 

I’m currently sitting in my room, feeling the breeze through the window…and it’s already somehow fall outside? What’s up with that? 

I guess I’m a junior now…which is the craziest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Time really does fly when you’re having fun (and writing papers). I know everyone says this, but I truly feel like I was entering my first year at Saint Mike’s yesterday. Seventeen year old me didn’t know what a wonderful and crazy ride she was in for. I remember how nervous I was to meet my roommate, how tired I was during orientation, and how excited I was to start my first day of classes. This year I was lucky enough to be an orientation leader (woooooo!!!) and get to help welcome the class of 2023. The whole experience just made me reflect on my own orientation and my whole first year in general. If I were to go back and talk to my first year self, there’s a lot I would want to tell her …but just a few for starters:

1. One day at a time!

I still have to remind myself of this all the time. I find myself planning out the whole week on my calendar (or even the whole month), wondering when I’ll get stuff done, worrying about things I have to do tomorrow, or the next day. Organize your time well…but let yourself take life one day, one moment at a time. And make the most of it. If you find yourself having a conversation with someone, but mentally you’re making that powerpoint for class tomorrow, then slow down. Not to be cheesy, but don’t count the days, make the days count! 

2. Get involved now! Say yes to things!

You’ve probably had this just about drilled into your brain by this point, but seriously. Of course you can always join things later on in your college career, but now’s the time when you’re going to be most open to meeting new people and finding your rhythm. Joining new clubs and activities will help you get a schedule and meet people who are probably similar to yourself!

3. If you haven’t already, you will find friends. Don’t stress. 

I know that when I first got to school, I quite literally knew no one. And I felt absolutely terrified. I had this intense panic to make friends right then and there. To some extent, the motivation to make friends is absolutely a good thing. It will drive you to push yourself a little out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there! The only time when this feeling becomes not so great is when you start to feel alone. There were times when I thought to myself, ‘why does everyone have a ton of friends? We just got here!’ The truth is that everyone moves at their own pace, and more than likely the majority of them are in the same boat. So don’t worry! Eventually you will meet people you love to be around. Just like everything else, it takes time. 

But all in all, class of ‘23…enjoy every second of being a first year. It goes by in a flash, and before you know it you’ll find yourself at the start of your junior (or senior…) year. 

Cover Photo: https://vmcdn.ca/f/files/kitchenertoday/images/weather/fall.jpeg

Image 1: http://catalog.smcvt.edu/index.php?catoid=23

Connecticut girl currently residing in Vermont as a senior at Saint Michael's College. English major with a love for writing, running, skiing, and all things Broadway. 
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.