9 Things Only People Who Love to Travel Will Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

The Time To Travel is Now. 

1. You have a constant need to be somewhere else

The world is too big to stay in one place. I’m painfully aware of this fact, and constantly find myself checking out flights, looking through pictures of  different countries, and feeling a deep sense of wanderlust rooted inside of me. While I love living where I do, I can’t help but feel a strong pull telling me to go somewhere else and explore a different place.

2. The view out an airplane window is your favorite view

There’s nothing better than staring out the window of an airplane, miles up in the air amongst the clouds, feeling the excitement of travel settle in your stomach. Looking down at the world makes everything seem so small, and realizing how tiny you are in comparison to our world is an important part of traveling.

3. You plan trips that may not even happen for years in advance

My notebooks are stuffed with papers that plan, in detail, a trip. There are scribbles to the side of different calculations, like the cost of flights and hotel rooms and rental cars. I have page long lists of hikes in different national parks, numbers for kayak and boat rental companies, and detailed daily itineraries if I happened to visit a certain city.

4. You can’t stay off of Pinterest for travel locations

My “travel” board on Pinterest is constantly being added to. No matter how long my list of desired destinations is, I’m always finding more beautiful mountains I want to hike, oceans I want to swim in, or cities I want to explore.

5. You have a long list of the places you want to go

I have a long list of places that I want to visit so when the time to travel actually comes, I’ll be prepared. The locations span from a few states away to on a different continent, and I want to go to all of them.

6. Your passport stamps are your most valued possessions

Along with my beloved passport stamps, I have a notebook that I bring with me when I travel so I can record my experience. When I’m feeling a strong urge to travel come on, I often look at my notebook and reminisce on my previous trips.

7. You’re constantly checking flights

The unfortunate reality is that flights are expensive. Whenever I find a new place that I want to visit, I get right on Expedia.com and check the price for flights. I often find myself on flight websites for no reason, too, just to check to see if there are any good deals. I mean, if there’s a good deal on a flight, then it’s the perfect excuse and I’ll just have to book it.

8. You’re always looking for excuses to travel

Considering that it costs a pretty penny to book a flight, hotel, and excursions wherever you want to travel, I have to have a valid excuse to actually spend the money. Unfortunately, “because it’s been awhile” isn’t a valid enough reason for most people, so I’m always pushing my family to have destination weddings, or for a family vacation to be planned.

9. Staying in one place for too long is painful

I get unbelievably antsy when I stay in one place for too long. Like I’ve said before, the world is just too big to be stuck in one spot. Time is ticking, and you’re never getting older: book that flight, plan that trip, and go travel the world.

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.