8 Ways To Decorate Your Dorm Room For Fall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

1. Get a Wreath For Your Door

You can pick up a wreath for your dorm door at Homegoods, TJ Maxx, or Marshalls for like $10 or $15. You can also, if you’re feeling ambitious, make your own. A wreath on your door can make you feel especially autumnal every time you open your door, and it gives your little home a nice vibe to everyone who walks by!

2. Small Pumpkins and Gourds

Pick up some tiny pumpkins and gourds from a local farmer’s stand and scatter them around your room! They are usually super cheap, and they last way longer than you would think. You can have fun getting interesting and quirky colors, go for the traditional orange, or even the minimalist white.

3. DIY Paper Cut Outs

Cutting out some leaves with red, orange, and yellow colored paper is one of the easiest ways to spice up your dorm door. Artfully scattering them around the perimeter of your door looks super cute, but you can also shake it up and cut out pumpkins, bats, ghosts, cats, etc. (see above).

4. Carve (or Paint!) a Pumpkin

Grab a pumpkin (or two) from the Farmer’s Market and get to work! Having a pretty, painted pumpkin makes your room seem put-together and well-decorated, even though it probably only took you around a half hour to do. You can also carve a pumpkin the old fashion way, but keep in mind 1) that will be messy, and 2) you probably can’t have a candle to make it light up.

5. Fall String Lights– or Fake Leaves!

Regular string lights are obviously awesome, but by getting some that emphasize the season you can make you dorm *extra* cute. It also makes your dorm feel more cozy and homey– something we all strive for in all-white rooms with hit or miss window sizes. If you like your string lights just the way they are, then stick some fake leaves up! Check out a craft store (like AC Moore) for fake leaves so you can DIY your own decorations!

6. Flowers in Mason Jars

We all love mason jars, but when you paint them autumnal colors and add some fake (or real!) flowers you have a super cute desk decoration that you will be pulling out every autumn until you graduate! You can get fake flowers and mason jars from pretty much any old craft store, so your supplies are readily available. If you want to go the extra mile, get some twine and tie it around the top of your jar.

7. Make Your Dorm Smell Like Fall!

Even though scent isn’t a visual decoration, walking into your dorm after a long day of classes can be made even better if your dorm smells like home. While most colleges prohibit candles, you can still use a wax diffuser, a wall plug-in, or room spray. Bath & Body Works has some great options, as does Yankee Candle.

8. Break Out the Throw Blankets

Having a cute and warm blanket folded at the bottom of your bed, especially when it is a flannel, makes relaxing on your bed with a mug of tea a little bit more cozy. If you are looking for a quality (but pricey) option, Vermont Flannel is a no brainer. That being said, you can definitely find less expensive options at other stores!

Picture Credit:

il_570xN.364999149_j2h1.jpg

Mini-pumpkins-and-gourds-cynthia-guinn.jpg

F13e701e4cc3e77e1cbc4a4f7086f73b.jpg

Cebcd4be1183705634da3c6a390bca94.jpg

C5d56c00762122694bf24eca2212aa7a.jpg

Image6.jpg

X354-q80.jpg

185848375-443×295.jpg

130573-Fall-Wool-Blankets.jpg

428348286cca007567ede4a59f6e268c.jpg

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.