sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things to Do When You’re Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

We’ve all been there. Surrounded by endless amounts of cute couples all of the time, but on Valentine’s Day, it seems like the amount of couples we see is through the roof. You feel like you’re the only single person out there who has to suffer on Valentine’s Day alone, right? Although you might feel this way, it couldn’t be further from the truth, but you don’t have to sit around and feel bad for yourself all day! Instead, find something to keep you busy and to keep your mind off of the fact that you might be forever alone. Here are 10 ways to spend your Valentine’s Day when you’re single.

1. Watch Rom-Coms

Although your first instinct might be watching movies that will make you cry, try out a rom-com instead. That way, you’ll be able to feel the love of Valentine’s Day, while also being able to laugh about it.

2. Snuggle with Your Pets

Even though you may not have a significant other in your life, your pets are the next best thing! So grab your cat or dog and make them sit up with you the entire night. If you don’t have a pet, you’re really missing out, but the next best thing would be a stuffed animal.

3. Pamper Yourself

You deserve to relax and have some time to yourself. After a long week of working and being stressed out, the best thing you can do is pamper yourself. You could always book a massage at the spa or a manicure at the nail salon, but if you’re on a budget, you could try a new facial mask, paint your own nails, or take a hot bubble bath!

4. Buy Yourself Something Nice

Have you been eyeing up a pair of shoes, a new bag, or that cute sweater you saw on Forever 21? Well this is your time to treat yourself! Although you may not have a significant other that’s going to buy you something, Valentine’s Day is a great time to buy something that you’ve been wanting for a while.

5. Indulge

Go out and buy yourself chocolate, ice cream (preferably Ben and Jerry’s), or any of the snacks that you love. Holidays are for eating what you want, why should Valentine’s Day be any different?

6. Bake Some Cookies!

Going along with the idea of indulging, baking is a great way to relax and have some fun. You could make stereotypical heart-shaped sugar cookies or just make chocolate chip cookies if that’s your thing. However, if you aren’t a great baker and are worried that you might burn the house down, you could just go and buy some at the store.

7. Take Yourself on a Date

Although it’s not as common to take yourself on a “date”, this might be the perfect opportunity to take yourself to a restaurant you’ve always wanted to try or a museum you’ve wanted to visit. Whatever you do, it’s always nice to spend time by yourself and do what you enjoy!

8. Tell Your Friends and Family How Much You Love Them

Valentine’s Day is commonly thought of as a day to spend with your significant other, but who says you can’t let your friends and family know how much you appreciate them? It’s a day full of love, so letting the important people in your life know how much you love them is always a great idea.

9. Have a Girls Night Out…or In

Getting together with your friends is always fun. Whether you go out to dinner, go shopping, or have a sleepover, being able to spend quality time with your friends is always important.

10. Question Why Valentine’s Day Even Exists

If all else fails, ask yourself why Valentine’s Day even exists. Is it because companies just want our money, or is there some other reason behind this love-filled holiday? You might be surprised what you find if you just Google it.

Sophomore at Saint Michael's College. Lover of Starbucks, social media, and all things sweet.