10 Fun Things to Do in Burlington, VT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

With spring just around the corner, a lot of us are surely feeling Spring Fever. Burlington is a great place to go out, explore, and get out of your own space! With a gorgeous waterfront, good food and lots of shopping, it’s a great way to escape campus and catch some sun. That being said, here are some fun ideas of what to do when being stuck inside your dorm room becomes too much!

1. Visit the ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center down by the water front!

The Leahy Center for Lake Champlain is a great way for both kids and adults to get to know our local body of water! Lake Champlain is a notable site for recreation, research, and many scenery-rich locations in Vermont. The ECHO Center is an awesome way to become more familiar with the marine life that we live our lives around. The admission price for students is $11.50, but it is so worth it! Also, make sure that you check out their website under ‘Calendar of Events’ to see if there is a cool exhibit / demonstration just around the corner that you won’t want to miss! For example, on April 14th, ECHO is opening a new exhibit on the invasive species currently plaguing the lake.

2. Investigate what is happening at the Flynn

The Flynn Center for the Performing Arts is a great resource for individuals of all ages to experience the mastery of live performance. Beyond wonderfully produced plays, the Flynn offers lessons in dance, improv, etc. Additionally, there are musical concerts, cultural exhibitions, and more.

3. Do a little clothing shopping

Burlington is lucky enough to have all sorts of local, one of a kind boutiques available to the public. A personal favorite for me is Dear Lucy, a wonderful shoe store right across from Ben & Jerry’s on Church Street. There are also bigger companies, like Banana Republic and Urban Outfitters, which are also located on Church Street. Admittedly, a lot of these places are tough on a college student’s budget, but if you hit up the sale racks you can always find something well suited for you (both your budget and your personal style!). If you are looking for lower priced options, try Downtown Threads! It is a second-hand, quite retro clothing store. You have to sift through a lot of hilariously hideous options before you find the good stuff, but laughing over the sweaters that look like they came straight out of your Grandma’s attic is half the fun.

4. Check out the local cuisine

One of the most well known aspects of Burlington culture is the marvelous local cuisine that several Burlington restaurants excell at. Some suggestions from a native Vermonter include: The Farmhouse, American Flatbread, Sweetwaters, and Leunig’s Bistro. Pro tip: several of these places have pretty expensive dinner menus, but if you go in for lunch the prices are much more reasonable for a college student’s budget. Always check the online menus for prices and meal options! Also, the specials are usually taking advantage of seasonal delicacies, so make sure to check out that menu too.

5. Enjoy the waterfront

From taking a stroll on a nice day to bringing a picnic down for lunch and enjoying the scenery, the waterfront is an awesome place to relax and appreciate the beauty of where we get to live. It is also a great place to walk your dogs, and if you are babysitting or have a little sibling with you, the waterfront is an awesome, safe place to bring them for a change in scenery!

6. Browse the local, independent bookstores

Burlington is home to a handful of small, cozy, independant bookstores. The Crow Bookstore, located on Church Street, and Phoenix Books on Bank Street are two favorites of mine. First of all, supporting local books stores is so much better than ordering off of Amazon. I know, you can’t beat that free two-day shipping for students, and those prices are ridiculous! But by paying a little extra you get to ensure that the experience of going into a quaint, cozy, shop is around for years to come. You are also supporting your local economy, helping to strengthen your community, and you will probably get way better service!

7. Explore The Spirit of Ethan Allen

The Spirit of Ethan Allen is a beautiful, huge ship that goes out onto Lake Champlain several days per week during the Spring / Summer and early Fall. The “Lunch on the Lake” cruise is $28.39 for adults and lasts about an hour and a half. It is a great way to relax, enjoy lunch, and absorb the beauty of Lake Champlain. There are also fancy dinner cruises along with more laid back sunset cruises.

8. Burlington Farmer’s Market

The Burlington Farmer’s Market is a great way to connect with the Vermont community. You can pick up stellar local produce and products, and there is usually a local band playing for entertainment. It is a family friendly, all ages, weekly event that is always fun to go to. It could even be said that the Burlington Farmer’s Market is the epitome, in many ways, of Vermont culture. The Winter Farmer’s Market is held indoors at Memorial Auditorium, while the Summer Farmer’s Market is held at City Hall Park. Check out their website for specific dates, and details on vendors and entertainment!

9. Pet all the dogs

Burlington, especially Church Street, seems to always be teeming with all sorts of dogs. They are great to get your daily need for puppy attention! Always ask first before approaching, but seeing them walk on by is usually too much to pass up (especially for a college student away from home, missing their pet).

10. Go cafe hopping

Burlington is home to many local cafes, and they are great spots to stop for lunch and buckle down to do some homework! A couple of my favorites include: Mirabelles, Muddy Waters, Penny Cluse, Common Grounds. These small coffee shops are cozy, friendly, and a great way to support the local Burlington economy. Plus, quality is always guaranteed.