Herojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Herojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Megan Charles

The Zodiac Signs as Bacteria, Explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Aries are Proteus mirabilis because of their impatient nature. P. mirabilis is a gram-negative rod that will completely cover any nutrient-rich plate it is streaked on. Proteus is an extremely stubborn species to identify and isolate. If P. mirabilis finds its way onto a plate, it will assert its independence with a distinctive ring structure.

Taurus are Mycobacterium tuberculosis because they are extremely persistent if they are able to enter the body. This rod-shaped bacterium is stubborn and requires acid-fast staining to be characterized. M. tuberculosis is known for a waxy coating around its exterior. It is a very tenacious and dependable species. 

Geminis are Escherichia coli because of the two sides to their personalities. E. coli can be a very beneficial gut bacterium and contribute to a healthy microbiome or it can cause severe enteric illness. For this reason, these gram-negative rods are given a bad reputation despite being a generally beneficial bacterium. 

Cancer is Streptomyces griseus because it requires just the right conditions to be able to be cultured effectively. S. griseus is a gram-positive rod and a well-known fastidious organism. Similarly to cancers, if the conditions are not just right, S. griseus will not be present.

Leo is Pseudomonas aeruginosa because they are known to show up a very distinctive green color when cultured. P. aeruginosa is a gram-negative, rod-shaped bacterium and is a very bold soil species, similar to Leo. In addition, P. aeruginosa is known to be a competitive bacterium in mixed cultures, which could lead to increased pride.

Virgo is Neisseria gonorrhoeae because of their need for the perfect conditions to grow. N. gonorrhoeae is fastidious, gram-negative diplococci that are a well-known pathogen. These systematic, logical pathogens will only thrive if the conditions are just right, similarly to Virgos. 

Libra is Micrococcus roseus because of its indecisive nature when being culture. M. roseus is a gram-positive cocci and will grow in several environmental conditions if the temperature is just right. M. roseus is known for being in a tetrad formation, always having friends nearby.

Scorpio is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) because of its distinctive nature. Staphylococcus aureus is a very distinctive gold colony when cultured and shows up very distinctively on many differential media. This gram-positive cocci is a very persistent pathogen and shows intensity similar to Scorpios. 

Sagittarius is Bacillus subtilis because of their extreme motility when cultured. Sagittarius is known for being very adventurous, similar to the tendencies of B. subtilis. This gram-positive rod is known for being very independent when cultured, tending to cover large portions of plates if allowed.

Capricorn is Burkholderia thailandensis because of their tendencies to be very competitive. B. thailandensis is a reliable soil species, similar to Capricorns. However, it is known to compete with other natural soil bacteria for necessary nutrients. For this reason, this gram-negative rod best describes Capricorns. 

Aquarius is Clostridium difficile because of its independent tendencies in the body. C. difficile is a notorious pathogen with an assertive nature, similar to that of Aquarius. It is a gram-positive rod that is a very rebellious bacterial species. 

Pisces is Lactobacillus thermophilus because of their empathetic nature. L. thermophilus are beneficial probiotics that commonly live in the gut. Their primary job is to support, similar to Pisces. L. thermophilus is a gram-positive rod that will always be there for you.

Hello! I'm Kristen and I'm a proud New Orleanian living my best life in the Lou these next few years! I'm a Saint Louis University biology major and I love bacterial research (Right now, I'm working with Streptococcus agalactiae!) I love rowing, AriZona tea, and podcasts.