This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Sitting in the library, as I get organized for finals, I keep finding myself staring out the window and thinking about my summer plans. They are far from thrilling, but nonetheless, I am looking forward to weeks where I don’t have to stare at my computer screen all day, constantly check my planner and stress about what big assignment comes next.

Summer seems a better time than any for new and old hobbies alike. Something I look forward to every summer is reading. During the year, school gets in the way of leisure reading, so when June arrives, I already have a huge list I plan to get through before August hits. However, if you are itching to get into reading or you need something to keep you busy while you tan on a good lake day, I’ve got you too!

Some of these are books that have been sitting on my To-Be-Read pile, and a few are summer essentials. Nonetheless, I hope you can find a book to keep you happy in the sun this summer.

For a thriller that will keep you up… Truly Devious” by Maureen Johnson

At an elite school in Vermont, a wife and daughter go missing. The unsolved crime is marked by a mocking letter from the kidnapper, someone who went by the name “Truly, Devious.” Decades later, Stevie Bell is determined to solve the crime as she attends Ellingham Academy. However, as she begins to investigate, “Truly Devious” makes an appearance on school grounds once more.

This is the first book I plan to read when I get home for summer break. As a lover of thrillers, I am already anticipating the twists and turns.

For a cheesy, but lovable romance… Slammed” by Colleen Hoover

As a romantic all around, I am always down for a romance that is only slightly cheesy. This book checks out in that regard for sure! It follows the new girl in town, Layken, as she finds her life intertwined with the boy-next-door, Will. However, circumstances out of their control keep them from having a relationship. Nonetheless, fate keeps pulling them together.

Hoover is one of my favorite authors, and I will always reach for one of her books. This one is definitely not my favorite, but it is the lightest out of them (my personal pick would be “It Ends with Us”). This story may be predictable, but it still has its charm.

For an ambitious read… A Little Life” by Hanya Yanagihara

This is another book that has been on my list for what feels like forever. This story follows a friend group out of college trying to navigate post-grad life in New York. Willem, JB, Malcolm and Jude each have their own unique baggage to carry, but as the story goes on, their relationships change and shift, as Jude’s dark past affects them all.

Admittedly, I have been avoiding this book purely because people say it is extremely sad. However, the book is acclaimed and was nominated for many literary awards, which has my attention for sure. It’s been on my radar, and I am determined to finally experience it this summer.

For when you are dreaming about Mamma Mia…Love & Gelato” by Jenna Evans Welch

This category may be kind of niche, but the point is we all dream of travelling somewhere beautiful at least once during summer break, right? As long as I am not the only one constantly dreaming about backpacking through Europe, I have a novel for you!

Lina is spending the summer in one of my dream destinations: Tuscany. With her mom’s journal as her security and guide, and the charismatic Ren making repeated appearances, she is in for a summer of love, discovery, secrets and of course, some good gelato. Once again, there’s nothing like a light-hearted romance to get you through the hot dog days.

For those itching for adventure… The Raven Boys” by Maggie Stiefvater

It may be a result of the excess free time I find on my hands in the summer, but I feel like I have a more active imagination in the summer. Last summer I re-read the “Percy Jackson” series by Rick Riordan, and it felt like falling into my childhood self again in the best way possible. The stories were silly and memorable, and I remembered loving all the characters all over again.

If you are looking for a similar adventure-like story to fall into, let me recommend my favorite series: “The Raven Cycle.” Blue Sargent finds her life completely intertwined with 4 preparatory school boys, and soon enough, the 5 of them are on the crazy journey of magic, clairvoyance and the discovery of a dead Welsh king. This entire series has my heart, and I recommend it to anyone who simply wants to get lost in a world of adventure.

Hopefully you can find something worthwhile on this list, and if so, here’s to a summer of joyous reading for all of us.

I current serve as the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus SLU chapter! I love Nora Ephron movies, cups of tea, and trips to the library! When I'm not writing, you can find me playing the New York Times mini games or listening to my favorite podcasts.