This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

It’s senior year of college. The future that I have been dreaming about for ages is literally here. While this comes with an immense amount of stress due to increased responsibility, taking a brand new job and being out of school for the first time, it comes with more excitement than anything. I am in the depths of working on my resume and getting ready to submit applications, and in the midst of all the anxiety around that, I find myself daydreaming of the future to come. I have begun to think about the fun activities that I plan to fill my time with while not at work, and this is what I have come up with: 

1. Reading, reading and more reading.

I was not always a big reader, but in middle school I became such an intensive reader. This has not gone away, as I find myself going through books every break we have, but I have found that I do not have the time or energy to read during school months. With reading being a requirement to complete assignments, the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is to sit down and read a book. I have begun to come up with a list of books that I have been dying to read with the hope that in my newfound time on days off,I will do one of my favorite things: pick up a book and read. 

1. Watch all the TV shows that I put off.

Similarly, I often find that I lack the ability to commit to finishing shows and TV series no matter how good the show. Thus, I often put off watching shows, leading to the ending being spoiled while the series is all hyped up or feeling left out in conversations. Once again, the list of TV shows that I hope to watch has begun. 

1. I WANT A DOG!

One of the best parts about school is the routine that is provided in life. I love the ritualistic nature of classes, homework and tests. They keep me on top of things and give me purpose for most of my days. My profession, nursing,  lacks consistency because you work three 12 hour shifts a week—leaving four other days with no structure or schedule. This has begun to worry me as I often struggle to make a schedule for myself which can negatively affect my mental health. One of my solutions is getting a dog. This will not only give me the amazing opportunity of owning an amazing furry friend, but it will also give me a daily activity and schedule as they need to be walked and taken out. Without any daily responsibilities, it can be easy to lay in bed all day or not get up until noon, but a dog needs to go out and get a walk. It’s an excuse to get a walk in yourself and to go to the park to play. It will create consistency that I desperately need in my life. 

1. Eat like there is no tomorrow.

I have lived in St. Louis now for four years and I feel like there is still so much food to be had. Every day I find different restaurants, coffee shops and bars that peak my interest. I want to explore the city that I have lived in for four years even more and not be so locked into SLU’s campus and the areas around it. I want to try new places to find my favorite places. Once again, the list of places I hope to try has begun and I hope to go to all of them before I move away. 

1. Lastly, I want to do what makes me happy.

This is a very general goal, I know, but I feel like it’s an important goal to have heading into a new future that feels uncertain and different. School has always been about this moment. It’s been about graduating, getting a job and becoming an adult, yet no one really talks about what comes after that. I want to focus on finding passion in my new adult life. I want to continue to be excited about the future and to not lose sight of life just because my education (the largest goal I’ve set out for myself) is done. Thus my new goal is to love my life. This means loving what I am doing and who I am with. I will make sure that if my excitement and joy for the future and my life ever simmer out, that I will come back to myself and re-evaluate where it went. 

While all of these may seem small or irrelevant to many, these are the simple joys that I am so looking forward to as I embark on this journey into adulthood and out of the academic world. I am stressed beyond belief about the responsibilities that come with it, but I know that there is a lot more to be excited about than worried about. Remember that joy doesn’t have to come from the big things, rather, it’s the small things that have the largest impact. 

Kateryna Gehlhaar is a senior nursing student at St Louis University. She enjoys exploring new places, reading romance novels, and having dance parties with her friends. One of her greatest passions is taking photos in her free time! She is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus chapter this year and to share some of her own stories and adventures.