This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Is “coming out” necessary? Has it just become a publicity stunt for likes on our social media accounts? Do YouTubers only do it to get more views? I pondered this myself as I had second thoughts on posting about National Coming Out Day in the month of October. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that even with all the progress the LGBTQ+ community is making in the waves of politics, there is still an importance in coming out. Here are my reasons.

I do it for myself.

I had a difficult coming out experience especially coming from a very conservative family. It took me a long time to accept the truth to myself because of the values and the religion I grew up with. So when I was finally able to embrace my queerness, I wanted to come out myself. I had been so outspoken about being Catholic and I wanted to be proud of my sexuality that I had denied for so long. I felt like I owed it to myself to show how far I’ve come as a person.

I do it for those who can’t.

There are many communities in the world that make it difficult for LGBTQ+ individuals to live freely and express their love. I feel as though that since I have this privilege to freely express myself, I should take advantage of this freedom and do what I want with it for those who can’t. It is sometimes easy to forget, especially within our own bubbles, that people in the queer community, to this day, still have the danger of being attacked and killed for their identities. Countless people have fought for our right to be free and it would be a shame to continue to hide.

I do it so others feel like they can.

I am a Filipino and a Catholic. I browsed and scoured the internet for gay icons. As much as I related with many LGBTQ+ YouTubers, I saw no one who looked like me or believed in the same God. I felt like I personally could not come out because I had never seen someone from my microcosm ever come out. The unknown of what would happen to me made me want to deny my own sexuality. However, eventually, I saw someone in my own community who was both Filipino and Catholic come out. Even though they were not given the best coming out reaction, I just felt so at home knowing that I was not the only one out there. This would eventually be the big push that allowed me to come out to my closest friends.

I always encourage people who want and who feel safe enough to come out to do so because it’s one way of connecting with the community. But, regardless, as much as I encourage it, it shouldn’t be an obligation. In a perfect world, no one should ever have to come out. But in reality, for a lot of us, many have to come out every day to family, to friends, and to strangers. By coming out, we recognize the path that was carved for us by the blood of those who gave their lives to fight for our right to live, let alone be recognized. By coming out, we recognize the hardships that people still face today purely from who we love. By coming out, we embrace ourselves and each other. By coming out, we make ourselves seen when we are often unseen.

Whether you are coming out to the world or you are coming out to yourself, know that you are worthy of being seen and you have the support of millions of people who are like you. Be proud and stay proud. Your existence is valid.

Janine Urgello is a writer for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. She is studying to be a Physical Therapist and earning a Film Studies minor on the side. She is a self-proclaimed film buff and a dedicated advocate for social justice.