Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

What I Learned About Myself in a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Growing up, the media that I consumed had unrealistic and exaggerated portrayals of sorority life at large state schools. The representations of “fake” girls and outlandish stories terrified me from ever going through recruitment. This is prevalent in the show “Scream Queens” and the movie “The House Bunny. In the fall of 2022, I entered my freshman year of college and swore off sorority life. I told myself I was too busy to be active, it was too expensive and I could make friends on my own. These excuses were made because of the stereotypes I had about sororities, and I did not care to give “Greek life” here at Saint Louis University a chance. Thankfully, after completing a year at SLU and learning what the sororities here were like, I was more interested in joining one. Although the process was nerve-wracking and a little bit intimidating, when Bid Day came I was ecstatic. I opened my bid to see “Zeta Tau Alpha” on the paper, and I jumped up and screamed out of pure joy and excitement for what was to come. From that moment until initiation a week ago, I had the opportunity to experience the benefits I gained and the many things I learned about myself. 

One of the main reasons why people join sororities or fraternities is for the chance to meet new people and make lifelong friends. I wanted this as well, but I also found out something new about myself and what I enjoy. Since I was a little girl, I have always been shy and nervous to introduce myself to people or initiate conversations. Even during my first year of college, I found it difficult to get out of my comfort zone and gain confidence. Thankfully, I reached out to my family about how my social anxiety impacted me daily, and I met with a therapist and got started on medication. These new aspects in my life allowed me to grow in self-confidence and do things I never believed I could do. With a different state of mind and excitement for experiences that I would have previously never done, I decided to go through recruitment. 

From the first round of rotationals, I realized that meeting new people, sharing experiences and stories, as well as bonding with others was something that I wanted to continue to do. I felt a jolt of energy with every conversation I had. In the past, I would feel like my social battery was drained so low and I did not want to strike up an engaging conversation. I was also very nervous about meeting new people and scared I would be judged. My sisters in Zeta have helped me understand that I have so much to offer and people truly want to know me for who I am. 

Along with my newfound joy in meeting different people, I realized how much I value giving my time and service to others. Zeta Tau Alpha’s philanthropy is Breast Cancer Education and Awareness, which I felt slightly disconnected from because I did not have close ties with anyone who was a survivor, a thriver or who had passed away from breast cancer. Thankfully, I was quickly informed of the statistics of breast cancer and found out how many people do know someone who has been impacted by the disease. When I learned that one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, my mindset changed. I had the opportunity to volunteer at Sista Strut, a walk spreading awareness about the prevalence of breast cancer in women of color, as well as Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, a walk to celebrate survivors. Being in the presence of so many men and women who have been affected by the disease was inspiring, and I felt so lucky to have the chance to celebrate and support them. 

Not even a year ago, I would be shocked that I would join a sorority. I am proud of myself for gaining the confidence to advocate for myself and achieve difficult things. My newfound self-confidence has allowed me to become an outgoing person who wants to get to know everyone. Being a part of Zeta Tau Alpha has led me to discover this new aspect of myself, as well as my love for serving others.

Hi! My name is Lucy Emory and I'm from Kansas City, MO! I love to sing, dance, read Harry Potter and learn random history facts. I am also a self-proclaimed Taylor Swift and Lana Del Rey enthusiast. I'm so happy to be writing for such a welcoming and empowering community!