What to Focus on When Feeling Burned Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Maybe it’s lack of sleep, stress, or even the weather; but lately, it has become extraordinarily difficult to find the endurance for school. We are all expected to be able to go day in and day out, remaining motivated on receiving our education. But often times it’s difficult to maintain that motivation for very long. Feeling burned out in college is not talked about enough. We put so much effort into everything we do, and we often don’t give ourselves enough credit. Here are some things to focus on if you are feeling burned out:

1. Think of how far you’ve come.

So far, you have made it through all of the challenging things that have come your way. So what makes what you are doing now any different? You have the capacity to push through this feeling and make it through to the other side and be stronger because of it.

2. The work you’re doing isn’t for nothing.

It often feels like all the hard work we are doing isn’t getting us any closer to our goals. But this just simply isn’t the case. We are learning lessons that will make us better at our future careers, even if it is just endurance through tough times.

3. Remembered why you started.

We all need to be reminded sometimes of what the point of all of this is. There is a reason we are going through all of this hard work; it’s for our future careers. We need to remember that the sacrifices we are making now will pay off in the long run.

Breakfast sandwich enthusiast, dog lover, and writer for Her Campus at Saint Louis University.