This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

We all have interests that we simply cannot shut up about. For me, the list includes why lakes are superior to oceans, the reasons why “Mamma Mia” is the ultimate mood booster, just how much better Sour Patch Watermelons are to ordinary Sour Patch Kids and “The West Wing.” I don’t know what it is about this show (never mind, it definitely is the characters, the plot and the witty dialogue), but nonetheless, I am obsessed. It is the perfect blend of intellect, humor and heart. I turn to this show when I am in a good mood or when I need comfort, and it never fails to inspire me.

My mom and I will quote the show constantly because it truly is the best pick-me-up. It is inspiring and empowering, and to be honest, the main reason I watch the show over and over again is because it simply makes me feel better. Whether it is inspiration or simply a reminder that we all need to hear sometimes, “The West Wing” has it all.

If you are seeking something today, whether it’s inspiration or a reminder of simply what life can be, here are a few quotes to get you to tomorrow.

For when you need to remember the badass person you are…

“You’re a smart savvy woman who could easily consider world domination for a next career move.” -Charlie Young

“I have wit, I have charm, I have brains, I have legs that go all the way down to the floor, my friend.” -Amy Gardner

For when you are panicking about your future/life plans…

“I think ambition is good. I think overreaching is good.” -Sam Seaborn

“What’s next?” -Josiah Bartlet

This one is simple, but it says it all. What is the next thing you will do to help yourself? What can you do today that future you will thank you for?

For when you feel hopeless about politics and change…

“We will do what is hard. We will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes and we reach for the stars.” -Josiah Bartlet

“Every time we think we’ve measured our capacity to reach a challenge, we look up and we’re reminded that the capacity may well be limitless.” -Josiah Bartlet

For when you feel like your voice isn’t heard…

“Decisions are made by those who show up.” -C.J Cregg

“Some of them will laugh and most of them won’t care but for some, they might honestly see that it’s about going to the blackboard and raising your hand.” -C.J Cregg

For when you feel like being dramatic…

“Everybody’s stupid in an election year.” -C.J Cregg

“There’s literally no one in the world that I don’t hate right now.” -Toby Zeigler

For when you are thinking political science is the major for you…

“We have the ability to affect more change in a day in the White House than we will have in a lifetime once we walk out of these doors.” -Leo McGarry

I will never stop recommending this show. “The West Wing” has made me more empathetic and aware. This show made me give a damn about politics. And even though it’s a fictional world and it ended over 10 years ago, it is relevant now more than ever. The issues of 20 years ago are the issues of today. The sentiment has not changed, but we have changed.

If you take anything away from these quotes or “The West Wing” in general, let it be this: we decide the future, and it is up to us to step up to the plate.

I current serve as the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus SLU chapter! I love Nora Ephron movies, cups of tea, and trips to the library! When I'm not writing, you can find me playing the New York Times mini games or listening to my favorite podcasts.