Career > Her20s

We’re Soarin’, Flyin’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

“Good morning, everyone. This, here, is your captain speaking. We are ready for takeoff, and our flight duration will be approximately two hours and 15 minutes. It has appeared that my job is to come rescue you from this warm, sunny, beautiful weather and return you home to the wonderful Midwest, where it’s currently 34 degrees Fahrenheit. The plane to our left is flying to Dallas, so if you are looking to stay somewhere warm, I’m sure you can negotiate a spot with their flight attendants, but now is your last call. No takers? Alright then, we hope you all have a safe and comfortable flight.”

The preflight pep talk from the pilot to his passengers has always been one of my favorite speeches. Whether the pilot is witty or very serious, the pilot delicately intertwines the complexity of us passing through multiple thresholds. A threshold is a point at which something changes or begins. It can be a physical point or an abstract point, both of which indicate changes of some type. It signifies the ending of one thing and the beginning of something new. In this case, the pilot begins by saying that we will be departing from point A. The transition from point A to point B is the first threshold we pass through. Then, the duration of the flight is point B. At this point, we transition from point B to point C, which is the final destination. This idea of passing through thresholds by looking at it through the lens of a flight is seamless to me, so effortless. 

That’s the deceiving thing about it though—it has taken years to perfect the effortless transition through thresholds. It appears that thresholds can be crossed so simply, but often in our everyday lives, they tend to be lingering. Some thresholds in our everyday lives can include:

• Finding a new group of friends that align with who you are rather than who you were and dealing with the guilt that comes with that. 
  • Learning to embrace a new season of life with new routines and new recipes while also feeling nostalgic for what used to be. 
  • Overcoming your fear of putting yourself out there while also addressing the real fears ahead of doing so. 
  • Understanding how to be a good friend but also learning how to set boundaries for yourself.
  • Learning to accept yourself for your mistakes while also learning to give yourself grace. 

Some thresholds seem like they take forever to pass through, and I mean forever. But while the transition across the threshold is often one of simplicity and grace, other thresholds are meant to linger. That’s their job, to linger. Either way, both thresholds hold an inherent value of personal growth. Both thresholds signify that you are learning. And that, in itself, is enough. 

“Please fasten your seatbelts and remain in your seats as we seem to be experiencing a little turbulence.”

Not all thresholds are transitioned so concretely, but oh, how I wish they were. At this point in the plane ride, you’ve already passed through the first threshold, and you’re gazing out the window because you were lucky enough to snag a window seat. Good thing, because the window seat is where the magic happens. You might be inspired to start singing to yourself, “We’re soarin, flyin, there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach.” No? Just me? That must be the “High School Musical” junkie in me talking. Either way, you’re probably experiencing a shift of perspective as you look down upon the clouds instead of up at them. This perspective, in itself, should allow for a moment of thinking. Yes, I knowscary! Alone with your thoughts—no, thanks! I am someone who easily falls into the trap of drowning out the noise, putting my headphones in and cruising on through the rest of the flight. Here’s the thing—if you do that, you miss out on the one thing that you’ve been given: the now. Let me tell you something: there’s no peace when a soul has been bombarded with overwhelming noise. 

When the opportunity for silence arises, it should be embraced. During this point in the threshold, silence is the soil for wonder, joy and gratitude. And where would we be without those lovely things? So if you’re telling me that in exchange for joy, wonder and gratitude, all I have to do is carve out some time of silence? 

Twist. 

My. 

Arm. 

Trust me, cultivating silence is no easy feat. That’s why when you’re on the airplane and it’s silent, I say take it! Learning how to cultivate silent space in everyday life is a process, and it’s okay if you don’t have it figured out yet. I know I sure don’t. Trust: the small steps matter. Trust: the little things you are doing to be kind to yourself and making time for yourself matter. 

“This is your captain speaking. We are ready for landing in ten minutes. Please put all large electronics away and place your tray tables upright. Thank you for flying with us, and we hope you enjoyed your flight.” 

Here it comes. The final pathway to the destination. Now, you understand that you are about to cross the threshold from point B to point C. You brace yourself for landing. You take one last look out the window. Inhale. Exhale. 

Unfortunately, the changing  thresholds we pass through in life are not clearly communicated with specific instructions to us by a pilot on an overhead speaker. If it was, I think we’d all be winning at life right now. What’s important here is that you are learning that there is so much happening beneath the surface

The thing about thresholds is that it permits this: the opportunity for growth. To keep growing in a new day despite the rough morning or the bad quiz score or the pouring down rain or the loss of a loved one or the endless amounts of homework or the never-ending pressure to fit in. 

It is here that we must remember: thresholds allow you to trust that trusting is enough. 

“Alright, folks. We have officially landed here in the not-so-sunny but very welcoming Midwest. Welcome to it! Thanks for flying with us, and we hope you enjoy the rest of your day.”

Threshold B to Threshold C has officially been crossed. Noted. Now what? 

Inhale. 

Exhale. 

Hi! I’m a graduate student pursuing my Masters in Business Administration with a concentration in Data Analytics. I’m from St. Louis, Missouri, born and raised. I could tell you about my hobbies and how I spend my free time, but instead, here is an organized yet chaotic list of things I love: cowgirl boots, Taco Buddha, scaring my roommates when they come home, walks down west pine, going for drives and singing songs with the windows down, sunsets, the Business School atrium, Emma Chamberlain, bold fashion statements, making Tik Toks, my new Stanley cup with a handle, and teaching Jazzercise.