The Top 8 Reasons Rupaul’s Drag Race is the Best Show Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

RuPaul’s Drag Race is a reality tv competition for drag queens, and let me tell you, IT IS AMAZING. There is never a time where I am not bent over laughing or also crying with the contestants. From maxi challenges to the runway, watching these talented entertainers and RuPaul herself never ceases to educate and amaze me. Here are the top 8 reasons why RuPaul’s Drag Race is the best show ever. (Note, I will be using female pronouns when referring to the contestants based on previous trends on the tv show.)

1. The impeccable fashion.

Every episode there is a runway portion which goes into making a final decision on who wins or loses the challenge. Whether these ladies are making an outfit out of curtains, wearing an outfit envisioning the future of drag, or just looking fishy as hell, it is amazing. Watching the strut their stuff and look so confident is inspiring and so great to watch.

2. The drama

Is it really a reality competition show if there’s no drama? Watching the contestants yell at each other across the workroom, try to sabotage one another, or just annoyingly singing Beyonce at the top of their lungs is everything I’ve ever needed plus more.

3. Lip syncs

To determine which of the bottom two women is eliminated, they must battle it out on the dance floor and LIP SYNC FOR THEIR LIIIIIIVVVVEEEESSSS. This is always the best part of the show because this is what most of them do for their careers. They dedicate themselves to the song 100% and some of the most iconic moments in the show come from the lip sync. Party.

4. Snatch Game

Hands down the best maxi competition. Basically, the contestants pick a famous female (or a feminine male, in some cases) to impersonate. The trick is to answer questions as the celebrity would answer,  requiring them to think fast on their feet and make it funny. You better make Ru laugh, girl.

5. Seeing the vulnerability of contestants

There are times in the workroom or on the stage that the girls share their personal story. Whether it is about their struggles with eating disorders, the death of a loved one, or their family members rejecting them because of who they are, I am sobbing. It really shines light into the real life of these entertainers and makes them more relatable. Also, every time I see Kim Chi cry, I cry.

6. Educational moments

Through this show, I learned so much about pop culture and the LGBTQ+ community itself. From learning about the Stonewall riots to listening to discussions about the Pulse nightclub shooting, I was able to better understand the community and realize how much still needs to be done to strive for equality. It taught me how to be an ally and better empathize with the community as a heterosexual, cisgendered female.

7. Reading

The library is open! “Reading” means criticizing someone else and no one does it better than the queens. They are not afraid of being too mean and will tell you how it is. From back rolls to calling out ashy knees, it’s entertaining as hell.

8. RuPaul Herself

RuPaul is an icon for she is one, if not the, most successful drag queens in this day in age. Not afraid to be herself, she constantly emits charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent. Also, whether she is in drag or dressed in a suit, the fashion is like no other. From a shoulder to cry on, to a critical eye, to the funniest person in the room, she is a role model. She promotes self-love, confidence, and love for one another. Everything about her screams happiness.

Going over these things, it makes me more and more excited for the new seasons! Season 10 and All-Stars Season 3 are to come out soon. RuPaul’s Drag Race is on LOGOtv.com, so check it out!

Intersectional feminist, classical literature appreciater, Game of Thrones fanatic, world traveler, and proud sorority woman.