This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I want to preface this by saying that I am in no way an expert on creating playlists. I enjoy making them because I like to have music playing almost all of the time and I use it as a way to destress and unwind. I have a playlist for almost every mood I could be in and a few that just capture a certain feeling and are perfect for a specific situation. While it is easier to just find someone else’s playlist to use, it’s a lot more fun to have your own with songs you know that you like (and know the words to because singing along is half the fun). So, here are a few tips on how to craft the perfect playlist, according to a person who makes way too many: 

Try to choose a theme:

This isn’t necessary for a playlist, but it makes them more fun. The theme could simply be the time period that all of the songs came out in or the genre of all the songs, but it’s fun to be creative with it. There are certain songs I like to play for certain situations or events, so those tend to be the theme of my playlists. The more creative and unique you make the theme, the better!

Use a variety of different artists: 

I’ll be the first to admit that this took me a while to actually do. It’s just so easy to put all of your favorite songs by your favorite artists on every playlist you make, but that defeats the purpose. I try to limit it to three songs by the same artist in one playlist; this makes the playlists more diverse and not like you just pressed shuffle on all of your favorite songs (although sometimes that’s all you want to listen to, and that’s OK).

Think about how you want it to played: 

Do you want the songs to be played in a specific order? Can someone just press shuffle and still have the same effect? Both? When making playlists that other people are going to listen to, I typically place the songs in a certain order so they can just press play and go. However, if you followed the first tip and created a theme for the playlist, then someone else should be able to press shuffle and perfectly understand where you’re coming from. It’s about a balance. 

Come up with a fun title:

This is probably my favorite part. I have actually created entire playlists based on a random idea I had for a playlist name, so be creative with it! Try to think of something catchy or funny, but still easily recognizable. If you’re like me and have countless amounts of finished and unfinished playlists, you want to name them something that will help you remember what kinds of songs are on it. 

Now that you’re fully equipped with mediocre tips and tricks, you can start making your own perfect playlists! Or, you can stick with putting every single song you’ve ever liked in one long playlist, and honestly, I wouldn’t blame you. Whatever suits you best. 

If you’re curious about what I listen to, or just want to judge me based on my music taste, then you can find all of my weird playlists right here. Enjoy listening!

A psychology major who loves dogs, Disney movies, and making Spotify playlists that no one listens to.