This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

It’s a new semester and I’m back with three more books to read by yourself, or better yet with friends! Spring is the perfect time to enjoy the nice weather, so why not get outside with a good book? The brightness setting on your laptop will thank you. Also, in case you were wondering my credentials, I’ve spent the past winter breaks and summers working in a Barnes and Noble, so I promise you’re in good hands.

1. “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid — I saw this book once and then suddenly it was everywhere, from my TikTok feed to the display at the library. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint! The book recounts the story of Evelyn Hugo, an aging old-Hollywood starlet who wants to tell her life story to one specific journalist. Evelyn proves to be a plucky, determined heroine who is easy to root for as her life unfolds. You’ll watch her make a name for herself as an actress and fall in love, all while getting married seven times. With plenty of surprising twists, this book is easy to enjoy and hard to forget.

2. “The Girls” by Emma Cline — This book was a big deal a few summers ago but when I recommend it to people, they’ve usually never heard of it, which is why I had to include it on this list. This book follows the story of Evie, a 14-year-old girl living in Southern California in 1969. After fighting with her best and only friend, Evie’s summer takes a turn when she befriends girls who are members of a fictionalized version of the Manson cult. Despite the gritty and dark setting/subject matter, this book is really a story of girlhood, coming of age, and what it means, in the eyes of others, to be a woman.

3. “What Remains” by Caroline Radziwill – If you’re someone who loves journalism, true stories and the Kennedy’s, you’ll want to read this book. This sad but somehow uplifting memoir tells the story of Carole Radziwill, a girl from upstate New York whose passion for journalism led her to marry Anthony Radziwill, the son of a Polish prince and cousin to John F. Kennedy, Jr. The book also follows Anthony’s long battle with cancer and Carole’s struggle to care for him, especially when his prognosis takes a turn for the worse. Radziwill also writes about her close friendship with Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy and details her experience of finding out that Carolyn and John had been killed in a plane crash. Obviously, there’s a lot of sadness in this book. But Radziwill’s memories are so strong and vibrantly written, it’s worth the read.

Just a 21 year old aspiring writer who loves books, tv, online shopping, and all things pink.