Life > Experiences

The Ultimate, Immaterial, Going-Abroad Packing List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Studying abroad? Here’s a list of everything you’ll need to pack—everything intangible, that is.

After spending a couple months studying abroad in Ireland, I realized that nothing can truly prepare you for life in another country. No single how-to list or guide book will ever navigate you fully through the experiences you will face while traveling or studying abroad. That being said, the following list will touch on a few things I would have appreciated hearing before I hopped on a flight and crossed the pond. I could lecture forever on what clothes to pack, where to travel and little details so small you may instantly forget them. So instead of giving you packing tips that are not difficult to find, I thought I’d share the mentalities that I have adopted and lessons I have learned to help me adjust to life somewhere far from home.

Get used to being uncomfortable.

I have always struggled with facing discomfort. Asking a stranger for directions, eating a meal as a party of one or trying to understand an unfamiliar accent are all situations that past me would readily avoid. When studying, living or traveling in a new place, it is unproductive to assume that everything will come naturally or easily. Bumps in the road are an essential part of travel. Having an awkward conversation may lead to the development of a relationship, and that coffee you sip at a cafe alone may remind you of your self-sufficiency. Know that being in a new place means you have no previous routine to follow and you may not feel like you fit in. That’s okay—it’s more than normal! With every new, uncomfortable situation, take a deep breath and rest easy because soon enough you’ll be looking back at that experience, proud of how far you’ve come.

Gather some general knowledge of the place you’re visiting.

Every country, every city, every town has a story to offer. One of the best parts of going abroad is hearing these stories and meeting the people who are a part of them. I will say, though, that coming into a country prepared with an understanding of its general history can help you understand the culture that you are entering into, if only even a little. History holds strong emotions, and being able to acknowledge a place’s history is a crucial component of living and acting respectfully in a new place. In Ireland, learning a bit about the past and current conflicts between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland allowed me to have conversations with people who had unique perspectives to offer. But in general, the more you know the better, even if it starts with just a quick Wikipedia search!

Don’t get ahead of yourself when planning your time abroad.

If and when you decide to study or travel abroad, it can be really tempting to book trips to fill up all your time there. For Americans, the thought of having easy access to cheap European flights is swoon-worthy. Booking flights and hotels in advance is economic and perfect for the Type-A planner, but it is important to give your future self some freedom. You never know what your experience will be like when you arrive to your new home. You may meet a group of locals that you can’t bear to leave. You might have a lot of unexpected expenses that make extra traveling a bit more difficult. You might be homesick or swamped in school or career work. But you also might be ready to globe-trot and plan excursions to the end of the earth! Either way, your future self will be grateful to have leeway when delegating your time. Leave at least a few weekends open for future planning and flirt with spontaneity!

Become intoxicated with wonder.

When traveling away from home, feeling overwhelmed can lead to feeling paralyzed. You might not know where you are or what you’re doing. It’s important to realize that these feelings are valid, but shouldn’t stop you from really immersing yourself in the experience. When you’re walking home from a day out, take a road you haven’t seen before. If you’re ordering take-away from a restaurant, try the local special that you normally would avoid. If there’s a cultural custom you don’t understand, look up its meaning and origin, or better yet, ask a local! Leave no door unopened! Take a friend with you, and go explore somewhere new! Read the plaque on the building you pass everyday or ask someone nearby if they know the name of that one song that the locals sing all the time. Pretend to be a local and allow yourself to walk confidently, but also don’t let complacency bar you from learning as much as you can in an environment you may not ever be in again.

Be your own biggest cheerleader.

Traveling is intimidating. Studying in a foreign place is intimidating. Being alone, navigating a new environment and not being native in the language are all intimidating. Going out of the country requires courage, and if you are able to participate in the experience, you should already be proud of yourself for choosing to do so! You will have to face uncomfortable situations, look out of place and miss the comfort of home. Because you have no other choice, you will get through these situations, and it is the act of getting through that itself deserves celebration. There probably will not be someone next to you always seeing you conquer these little feats of bravery, so you’ve got to learn how to celebrate these personal accomplishments in your own way no matter how small. Allow yourself to notice personal growth. Pat yourself on the back when you do something on your own that you never had to do back home. You are strong and brave and can do anything you set your mind to, so don’t be afraid to remind yourself of it!

I could go on and on offering little bits of lessons I’ve learned throughout the past few months. In reality, traveling and studying abroad are experiences unique to each individual. We all struggle and succeed in unique ways and that’s part of the beauty of it all! All we can do is jump in the water and learn how to swim on our own. So with that, bon voyage!

Lucy is a senior at Saint Louis University studying occupational therapy. In her free time—if she has any—you may find her curating music for her DJ gig with KSLU radio, shooting hoops at the Rec Center, or drinking a fun little beverage. Her writing is like her life: sporadic, passionate, full of energy, and a bit all over the place.