This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

What do you eat when there’s nothing to eat? Whether you don’t have a car to get to a grocery store regularly, you can’t stand dining hall food or you are balling on a budget and rarely shop to stock your snack drawer, having the things you want to eat when you want to eat them can be a challenge in college. After returning from a night out, I have eaten what some might call questionable food choices and I have seen my fridge inhabited only by a singular egg and expired cold brew concentrate. 

Given these dire situations I have found myself in, and I know others have faced time and time again, here is a tool kit for living frugally and also nutritionally fulfilling.

List of Essentials to Have on Hand

1. Nut butter – A great addition to any snack to make it more satiating.
  2. Eggs – The cost-savvy savior of all breakfasts (and late-night snacks for me).
  3. Citrus fruit – These last forever and can help stop a cold before it starts.
  4. Dry cereal/granola – Pour milk over or add to yogurt to give the snack some oomph.
  5. Potatoes – Whether sweet potatoes or yellow potatoes, these are a super easy addition to any meal.
  6. Yogurt – Great for your gut and a cheaper protein option, these can serve as a base for a yogurt bowl or unflavored yogurt can add some protein to pastas and dressings.
  7. Chocolate chips – Grab a handful or use in a sweet treat when your sweet tooth kicks in late at night.
  8. Mixed nuts – The can of almonds and cashews that is never my first pick has saved me many times when I’m looking for a satiating snack but have no other options.
  9. Carbohydrates – A bag of instant rice, a box of pasta or a canister of oats are great last resort snack and meal options.

Snacks/Meals That Are Easy to Whip Up with Few Ingredients

1. Spinach and eggs – A meal with veggies and protein; if you have it, add some cheese, avocado and hot sauce.
  2. Pitted dates and peanut butter – I love to melt chocolate chips, pour it over the peanut butter-filled dates, sprinkle with sea salt and set in the freezer for a yummy midnight treat.
  3. Lunch meat roll up – Roll lunch meat with avocado, cheese, a tortilla, whatever you can find!
  4. PB&J toast – Lather a piece of toast with your favorite nut butter and jam or jelly.
  5. Basic fried rice – Use onions and minced garlic if you have them; if not, add cooked rice to heated oil and then crack some eggs in, mix with soy sauce, call it a meal!
  6. Loaded dessert toast – I saw this recipe on Instagram: simmer blueberries with sugar on the stove and serve over a cream cheese-covered piece of toast.

Use this list next time you’re stocking up your fridge or scavenging through your snack drawer. Get creative! Don’t be afraid to try new flavor combinations and have fun with it! 

Lucy is a senior at Saint Louis University studying occupational therapy. In her free time—if she has any—you may find her curating music for her DJ gig with KSLU radio, shooting hoops at the Rec Center, or drinking a fun little beverage. Her writing is like her life: sporadic, passionate, full of energy, and a bit all over the place.