This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

High school is a time in my life that I will never forget, mostly because it ended in quite an unexpected way. Instead of prom and graduation, I got quarantine and e-learning. So, since I didn’t get the ending I wanted, I’m going to say a proper goodbye to those things that I will miss about high school. 

To one of my favorite teachers:

You made going to English class fun, which is something I never thought I would say. For the first time ever, I found myself engaged and excited and willing to participate in class. Whether it was because of your terrible jokes (sorry, most of the time I only laughed because of how weird they were) or because of your off the wall teaching strategies (I’ve never been in a silent lecture ever since, but that’s ok. I don’t think anyone else could pull it off quite as you did), I was never bored in class. I know that I’ve told you all of this before, but I want to tell you again because it’s true; you made me a better writer and a better student (although I still don’t understand commas. I guess you can’t fix everything) and for that, I thank you. 

To the teacher that helped me find my place:

You were probably the biggest class clown, even though you were the teacher. You made lessons fun and interesting, and despite the fact that I was the only sophomore girl, I felt comfortable while in your classroom. However, this isn’t how you helped me. I asked you to be a reference for me when I applied for a job, and you took it a step further by talking to the manager and recommending me yourself. While I can’t give you all the credit (I have to have a little faith in my own capabilities here), you were definitely a huge help in my getting the job. And I loved that job. I met some amazing people there and it taught me skills that I never expected to learn from working at a tiny smoothie store. I became manager at that job, and it’s helped shape me into who I am. Again, I have to believe in myself a little bit here, so while I (probably) could have done this without you, I’m glad that you were there to help me and that I could share it with you, so thank you. 

To the best friends that I made:

Part of me is upset that it took me three and a half years to finally become close friends with you guys, but another part of me knows that I found you at just the right time. I know that you all know this (mostly because I tell you it constantly), but I would be lost without you. You helped me navigate a difficult time in my life, and you have been my rocks ever since I started college. Who would have thought that it would take a simple study hall table to grant me some of the most amazing people I have ever met? I could write so much more, but I’ll just wait and tell you in person, when I can give you the biggest hug ever. 

To the friend that I lost:

I never thought I would be writing this. Since the first day of freshman year, you were my rock. Countless hangouts on the weekends, FaceTime calls where we would do our homework, endless laugh sessions during study hall. Then, school got shut down, we had to stay in our houses and I lost you. You never called, you didn’t text and you didn’t seem to care. High school had ended, and it seemed to have taken our friendship with it.

And even though I’m still so mad at you, I know that I would’ve been lost throughout high school without you. You were there through everything and honestly, I would have failed some classes without your help. I can never forget that, so thank you. If you somehow found this, I want you to know that I don’t regret our friendship and I hope you don’t either. 

To the worst class I have ever taken:

Junior year. AP Physics. What a stupid idea. If somehow you’re my physics teacher, stop reading this now. OK, so this was definitely the most challenging class I have taken thus far. Complicated labs, mind-numbing calculations and a classroom of stressed out juniors preparing for the SATs. What could go wrong? 

So much. So much can go wrong. Honestly, I had a lot of breakdowns over this class, but despite this, I owe a lot to it. It showed me that I am a lot stronger and more determined than I initially thought. Even when I felt like giving up, I knew that I had to push myself to succeed and that’s what I did. So thank you physics; I hope we never meet again. 

To the class that taught me the most:

Senior year. AP Psych. Best idea I ever had. Engaging lectures, funny stories and countless pictures of the teachers dog. It’d be difficult for this to not be one of my favorite classes I’ve been in. Not only did this class inspire me to pursue psychology further, but it introduced me to one of the best teachers ever.

A teacher who always wanted to put positivity into the world, especially when it seemed like everything had been turned upside down. Someone who took the time to really get to know their students. A teacher that I can confidently say, I could go to whenever I had any sort of problem and receive non-stop support from until it was sorted out. Even if I didn’t always feel it, I loved every aspect of that class and I thank you for the wonderful memories and experiences you granted me.

And finally, to my high school:

There’s so much I could say. So many events and activities I could talk about. Endless memories, but I think short and simple will suffice for now. So thank you high school, for everything.

A psychology major who loves dogs, Disney movies, and making Spotify playlists that no one listens to.