Take a Class “For Fun” Next Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As you register for classes for next semester, I challenge you to pick one for fun. For fun? I know, I just used that phrase in reference to college—a class specifically, too. I get it, though. Most of us go to college to get a degree and spend an insane amount of money on it, so we want to minimize those extra costs as much as possible. 

Due to these unreasonable costs of attending university, we are convinced as students that our whole college experience must be transactional and practical. If it won’t get me a job, I don’t need it. While valid, this point of view narrows our understanding of the importance of exploring interests we already have and interests we might discover while in school. 

You Only Go To College Once (usually)

Most college students have their four years of glory and then are off to the workforce. Just like that–in the blink of an eye the “best four years of your life” are gone! Therefore, applying a seize-the-day attitude to your college experience might be the best way to maximize your experience. 

I applied this mindset and chose to take the maximum 18 credit hours last semester just so I could add a class that fueled my personal interests outside of my core required classes. Sure, taking extra, not-required classes will lead to extra, not-required work, but you’re already studying in the library! What’s another hour of work in the long run? Especially when those extra hours of work could turn into lifelong knowledge about a unique interest!

You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know

I knew that I wanted to study Occupational Therapy in college. I didn’t know how my interests in food science, world history, creative writing, environmental policy, psychology, physics (I think…), criminal justice and music were going to fit into that major. The whole college major business is tricky too because I don’t want to feel “stuck with” one thing forever!

Here’s what I knew: I have a major, I have lots of interests, I want to learn everything and take every single class, and I don’t know how any of this is going to happen. 

Even if you’re not an intellectual glutton like I tend to be, colleges offer a variety of courses that deserve to be explored. These courses are worth taking even if they’re not tied to a prospective job or won’t make your resume look perfect and shiny. That College Algebra class might make you realize you love applying math to everyday situations. Your English class might open your eyes to a literary genre you want to pursue in your own free time through reading outside of class just because you can. A Public Health class might pull at your heartstrings and lead you to a community service site that feels like home.

If you’re already paying for 18 credits of college classes, why not take a class that lights a little fire in you or makes you think differently than the classes you are used to?

We’re Floating in an Intellectual Melting Pot

College is special because there are people from everywhere interested in everything. You might not be passionate about Renaissance Art History, but maybe your roommate is and they drag you to a class that becomes your new favorite. 

When we find careers or other gigs post-grad, we are most likely going to be around people with pretty similar goals and interests as ourselves. In college, though, we get to live, learn and socialize with people that are passionate about things that we may have never even heard of—what a thrill! 

Take advantage of that weird Philosophy of Married Life class taught by a quirky, older professor. When can you ever do that kind of thing again? Sign up for the Principles of Food Preparation course not to satisfy a prerequisite, but to learn how to impress your parents in the kitchen when you go home for fall break.

Universities are meant to challenge us, but too often we find ways to make our experience as easy and smooth sailing as possible. When has anyone ever said that they grew a bunch from an easy ride?! Challenge your beliefs. Add some more credits to your load because what’s a few more? Write a weird vampire sci-fi story for your fictional writing class, go on the field trip in your geology lab and debate something you’re passionate about in your public speaking course!

Kill the Comfort Zone

College is the time to leave your comfort zone. We will have fewer opportunities to grow our minds and expand our worldviews once we graduate. Let’s bask in the diversity and opportunity of academia while we have it!

Taking classes outside of our major or unlike any we’ve taken before is daunting. It can be difficult to learn how classes of different subjects may be structured. Figuring out how to adapt to a new learning environment is a crucial life skill to develop though. Admitting that we aren’t too familiar with course content is a practice in vulnerability that catalyzes personal growth. 

We must learn how to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. In college, we have the freedom to determine our comfort level. Are you going to decide to challenge yourself and grow from it? When we sit in the ways we are used to, we accept ignorance and stagnation. 

As you go through your school’s course catalog looking to fulfill your requirements for next semester, I challenge you to find a way to explore something new. Ask your academic advisor for scheduling help. Talk to friends and peers for professor recommendations. But whatever it takes, fuel your intellectual fire and seek to learn something new!

Lucy is a senior at Saint Louis University studying occupational therapy. In her free time—if she has any—you may find her curating music for her DJ gig with KSLU radio, shooting hoops at the Rec Center, or drinking a fun little beverage. Her writing is like her life: sporadic, passionate, full of energy, and a bit all over the place.