Style

Sustainable Fashion and Why You Should Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

It is a well-known fact that our Earth is suffering. The oceans are rising, the glaciers are melting, and the forests are dying. There are many proposed solutions, such as decreasing plastic straw use and restructuring oil fracking. However, many ignore an industry that is one of the largest culprits in pollution—the fashion industry. It makes complete sense; every season new styles are introduced as old ones are kicked to the curb. Although this is the nature of the fashion industry, it promotes the idea that people must constantly be buying new clothes to keep up with the trends. Stores like Forever 21, H&M, and other mass-producing stores provide cheap options, but at what cost? What happens to the clothes once that style is out of trend? Some will donate or sell, but more times than not, those clothes are chucked in the trash, piling up in landfills.

As conscious consumers, it is our responsibility to be aware that our capitalistic habits are causing significant harm to our Earth. One solution to fast fashion is making an effort to shop sustainably. Sustainable fashion comes in many forms. It can be thrift stores or second-hand stores, or it can come in the shape of buying less items at a better quality. Some brands even provide clothing that is made with recycled materials. It sure is not easier than hopping online and finding clothes at convincingly low prices, but it has the potential of saving the planet.

Living in St. Louis, I have the opportunity to find and support local stores that provide sustainable fashion, too. Here are a few of my favorites:

Mesa Home

Mesa Home is a small, hole-in-the-wall store on Cherokee Street that is owned by the most badass lady, Anni. Every week, she searches for thrift clothes that have the potential of becoming so much more. Everything in her shop is second-hand, but what makes Mesa unique is every piece has been redesigned or enhanced by Anni. Mesa provides a curated thrifting experience for those who do not enjoy the process of digging through old clothes. Each piece has been hand picked and is completely one of a kind, PLUS it is a sustainable resource.

Found by the Pound

Found by the Pound is another great thrift store in St. Louis. The actual store has so much space to hold plenty of items. It is more your typical thrift shop where you can sell and buy clothes. The great thing about Found by the Pound is they have everything you could possibly need. They carry women’s and men’s inventory, and they have racks and racks of everything from t-shirts to grandpa flannels.

Avalon Exchange

Avalon is another typical thrift store, and it is the only store on this list that is not local to STL. However, it is a great sustainable option to shop and a great place to come and sell clothes. Their stock is usually very trendy, so it is a great place to sell some of your more typical fast-fashion clothing, or if you want to avoid fast-fashion, I would check Avalon for more trendy pieces. Avalon is located on the Delmar Loop, which is a more hip and young neighborhood, and it is a great place to stop in if you are already in the area.

Whisk: a Sustainable Bakeshop

This is not technically a sustainable fashion spot in St. Louis, but it is sustainable! Whisk is also located on Cherokee Street. It is a super cute coffee shop and bakery that uses locally-sourced ingredients and produces as little waste as possible. It is an amazing place to stop by before you continue shopping on Cherokee.

Hello, I am Marissa Oxendine. I love local coffee shops, succulents, and passionate conversations. I feel very strongly about feminism, social justice, and shopping local. I'm in love with my zodiac sign (Aquarius) and all things Girl Power.