Start Celebrating the Earth Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Our dearest mother Earth. She has provided food, landscapes, animals, and seasons for an estimated 4.5 billion of years. Unfortunately, we’ve taken a little (a lot) more than she can sustain nowadays. When Earth Day comes around and we are reminded to celebrate Mother Nature and are encouraged to become more respectful of the world we live on for this one day.

Why not every day?

Now, you don’t have to go out, plant trees, or pick up litter to prove that you’re truly giving back, but initiating a change within your everyday routine can start to treat everyday as Earth Day. Here’s a few basic first steps you can take to begin a more Earth positive lifestyle:

Look Into Sustainable Products

Replacing products that are not recyclable is a great start to becoming more Earth conscious. Making the switch from plastic bags to canvas, plastic wrap to beeswax wrap, or even simply using a bamboo toothbrush instead of buying a plastic brush can create a habit of finding the better options offered. Also, most of the switches will end up saving you money in the long run!

Shop at Local Stores for Produce

Farmers markets are more than just a location for rustic photo ops! Local farms offer the freshest produce you can find in your area, sourced from a more sustainable practice of farming. Although these markets are usually seasonal, from spring to early fall, look into grocery co-ops, or find a market that sources their produce from locally run farms.

Donate, Sell, or Exchange

The old saying of “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure” very much applies here. Instead of throwing out clothes, appliances, or household items, donate them to your local thrift store, try to sell them for some extra income, or simply exchange the items with a friend or neighbor.

Conserve Energy & Water

The beginner big two. Our water and electricity, both use and waste, contribute a big percentage of harm to our Earth. Start by reintroducing those basic habits taught to us years ago: taking shorter showers, turning off lights when we leave a room, opening windows and blinds, etc.

Let’s make this Earth Day count towards something much bigger!

A young millennial with passions for a greener earth, good music, and mental health