Style

Spring 2019 Fashion Trends We Can All Start Wearing Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Happy fall everyone!

If anyone has been keeping up with fashion lately, they would know that the Fashion Weeks for Spring 2019 have just wrapped up. We’ve seen quite a few new styles this time around on the runway, along with some returning trends. And as we slowly start transitioning from 2018 to 2019 in these next few months, maybe it’s time to introduce these interesting new trends to our wardrobes.

However, I realize that it’s not exactly easy to wear the extravagant outfits of a runway model to your next chemistry lecture. So here are a few of the latest Fashion Week trends and ways to incorporate them into our everyday looks.

First of all, there are quite a few trends that are carrying over from the last couple seasons. Oversized fashion is good to go with all those loose skirts with fitted waists, bodysuits with loose pants, and billowing blouse arms. Statement belts, logos, and splashes of bright colors are still around. Fur (and other fluffy materials), plaid, and tweed are big players among the new trends too. They’ve been reintroduced in a variety of ways, so get ready to wear more of those fashionably pretentious styles. And last but not least, retro vibes are still in full swing so continue channeling your San Junipero aesthetics. All these trends will work very, very well with the new trends and will be easy to create franken-outfits with.

My favorite new trend is the fairy vibes we’ve been working on the runway. I’m beyond ready to dress like the soft flower fairy I’ve always wanted to be. We’re talking ruffles, tulle, floral patterns, pastel color schemes, tiered everything, lace, and more tulle. I know all these words could be used to describe your grandma’s house in the ’80s too, but if you’re out here cutting up her old curtains and tablecloths, I guess that’s how it be sometimes. And I wouldn’t plan on just wearing this as a style; be prepared to live out this vibe as a lifestyle. You no longer want a goth gf, you want a fairytale princess gf.

Next up is sparkles! Following the retro vibes and pattern of bringing back old trends, it’s only natural that metallics and shimmers are going to knock the glamour of matte down a notch. You don’t have to walk out looking like the Tin Man to pull this one off, though. Something as simple as a shiny, metal cuff bracelet or pair of earrings should do the trick. Dresses with sequins and glitter are also excellent (and easy) ways of wearing metallics because it’s already normal for the “special occasion” articles to shine and sparkle. And if you’re ready for more, consider adding a shimmer top or blouse to your outfit. It can be worn with a patterned jacket or just with a block colored bottom. Don’t be afraid to layer patterned metallics with non-metallics either because if it shines, it works.

Speaking of layering, “mismatched” patterns and clashing colors are also in. Your first instinct may be to pick complementary colors for the whole outfit or to match the fabrics. Ignore it. Pairing patterns and colors that don’t traditionally go together doesn’t necessarily mean that the outfit will look bad. Honestly, a big part of the outfit is going to be the confidence you wear with it because this isn’t the most “normalized” trend, but it’s doable. You can wear multiple patterns in complimentary colors alongside block colors, multiple colors in the same pattern, or go all out and wear that insanely patterned and wildly colored outfit like a boss.

Now to go the exact opposite direction, matching outfits are a go too. Personally, I prefer pantsuits with a matching button up, but this is up to you. Monochrome outfits that feature one color head-to-toe work. Wearing patterns with pieces of a different complimentary color to break it up work. Even wearing just one article of clothing and calling it a day works. Point is, anything goes for this trend, so have fun with it.

You remember those emo kids in school that shopped exclusively at Hot Topic? They may have actually been onto something there because we’re going to be seeing a lot of all-black outfits this season. The fabric and style and vibe don’t matter here. It’s just black. Head to toe black. And this trend might be one of the easiest ways to combine multiple trends too. All black matching pantsuit? Black metallic dress? Soft dark fairy vibes? Yes, yes, and yes. Go for it all and make those emos and goths proud.

Fashion does not exist separately from the complex, political world we live in. So, the fashion weeks showed off outfits with substance to them. In the past, we’ve worn lots of logos like Supreme, Gucci, and Vans. Now, we’re taking that same energy and turning to ideas that are bigger than ourselves. The only thing this trend requires of you is for you to be passionate about something and to be bold enough to show the world. Here are a few ideas to get you started: Black Lives Matter, voting, the Me Too movement, art, mental health, climate change, and basically anything related to advocacy of any kind. Be brave and go wild with this, but do mind your environment and think twice if you have to because your safety matters too.

The last new trend is silk and I’m very excited because this is an interesting fabric to work with. The easiest way to pull this off would be with a scarf. All simple outfits can be spiced up with a little silk around the neck. But this is also a good opportunity to take on a challenge. Silk pantsuits…silk full length skirts…silk robes…silk dresses made of mismatched patterns and colors…silk handkerchiefs…the possibilities are endless! I personally have a soft heart for a good vibrant blue silk, but don’t hesitate to play around with this versatile fabric.

And there we have it! A small list of the trends we can start transitioning into for Spring 2019. No matter if you decide to go all out with them, wear them minimally, or even not care about them at all, I know it’s going to be another good season for fashion. And if you ever dress up and want to be acknowledged as the fashion icon you are, feel free to send your pictures to me at nandhineswari.senthilkumaran@slu.edu. Happy fashioning everyone!!

Nandhineswari Senthilkumaran - or Eshu - is a freshman at SLU studying biology and philosophy. She spends her time running around to her million different extracurriculars and enjoying down time with her friends. Eshu is a newcomer to journalism and is very, very excited to be a part of Her Campus.
Sarah is the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. She is a Junior studying English and American Studies with a primary interest in 20th-Century and Contemporary American Literature, particularly semi-autobiographical fiction and novels that celebrate diversity within the fabric of American society and culture. Sarah is originally from Minneapolis, MN (and will talk your ear off about it) and loves all things literature, intersectional feminisim, travel, food, and politics. Ask her for recommendations for exciting new novels or local restaurants, and she will gladly oblige!