Career > Her20s

Self-Love Sunday: How My Friends and I Reclaimed Self-Care 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

We are only a few weeks into the semester, and the work is already piling up. Between classes, clubs, sports, homework, jobs and trying to maintain a social life, the life of a college student is busy and often overwhelming. In a world that often seems to move at a breakneck pace, we often find ourselves caught up in the hustle and bustle of daily life. Our responsibilities and endless to-do lists can easily consume our time and energy, leaving little room for self-care and self-love. This is why my friends and I dedicated a day to ourselves called “Self-Love Sunday.” 

Self-love relates to one’s own well-being and happiness. In order to do well in school and other areas of your life it’s important to make sure you are doing well. Sometimes, it is hard to find intentional ways to practice self-love and set aside time for it, but Self-Love Sunday is a simple concept that holds immense power. It’s a day to prioritize self-care, self-reflection and self-love above everything else. It’s a day to recharge, reconnect with yourself and foster a deep sense of well-being. So when my friend pitched this idea to me, I was thrilled! Over the last few years, I have worked hard to make self-love and self-care things that I am intentional about. Being a girlboss means you have to take care of yourself, and it’s important to check in with your own mental health. 

Practicing self-love can be as simple or as over-the-top as you’d like–it’s all about being kind to yourself and reminding yourself of your self-worth. For our event, we went all out with fun drinks and snacks, including a charcuterie board and a ginger and mint-infused mocktail. We all wore “whatever made us feel comfiest and sexiest,” aka our softest pajamas. We played music from female artists we find empowering, such as Taylor Swift, Halsey and SZA. Our activities included writing positive affirmations for ourselves and also each other, fun crafts like coloring and collaging and sharing what we appreciate about each other. 

My friends and I have known each other for two years now, and it was incredible to be kind to each other and ourselves together. I can’t lie, I cried a lot. It feels so vulnerable and emotional to allow people to be intentionally nice to you over and over again. But hearing things like, “You are a great friend,” “You have been there for me through so much” and “You are so kind” was a great reminder that we truly do deserve to believe those things. 

Self-love is a critical and empowering concept for people of all genders, but it holds particular significance for women in a society where gender-based discrimination and unrealistic expectations are prevalent. Self-love for women involves recognizing, valuing and nurturing one’s own well-being, worth and agency. True self-love and acceptance are feelings that I want all women to be able to revel in. Women often face societal pressures and expectations related to their appearance, behavior and roles. Self-love for women involves challenging and rejecting these stereotypes and norms. It means recognizing that there is no one “right” way to be a woman and that each person’s individuality should be celebrated. Self-love encourages women to embrace their authentic selves, including their strengths, vulnerabilities and unique qualities. It means being true to oneself rather than trying to conform to external standards or opinions. 

Women also often experience unique mental health challenges, including higher rates of anxiety and depression. Self-love involves recognizing the importance of mental health and seeking support and self-care when needed. It’s about understanding that seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness. Self-love and self-care go hand in hand because self-love involves practicing self-care regularly. Self-care is something you can do with others, or on your own. This can include activities like exercise, meditation, therapy, spending time with loved ones or engaging in hobbies that bring joy and relaxation. Prioritizing self-care helps women maintain their physical and emotional well-being.

As a young woman, loving yourself is so powerful, and it’s something that no one can take away from you. No one can tell you that you love yourself too much or that you’re doing it wrong. Setting aside time to be intentional and planning events that center around taking care of your mental health and self-image is so important to keep yourself in a good mind space. After our self-love Sunday, I felt a lot more supported and confident than I had before. Not only that, but it was also a wonderful reminder to be proud of my accomplishments and how far I have come. Having an event like this shows how strong and empowering girlhood can be. Plus, it’s always fun to have an excuse to go raid Target for fun snacks and pink face masks for you and your friends! 

Hi! I'm the senior editor of HCSLU, and a junior studying English with minors in Psychology and Communications who loves traveling, poetry, good pasta, and making the world a better place. I was born in Ukraine and currently spend my free time looking for cool hiking spots, trying new foods around Saint Louis, and going thrifting with my friends.