Rise and Grind: A Comprehensive List of My Favorite Coffee Shops and Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I have always found it difficult to be able to sit in a library or classroom for hours on end and be productive. But in the summer of 2021, my sister and I found a way for the both of us to stay focused and get things done: studying at coffee shops. Every day, we would visit a different cafe and work for at least six hours. I realized how much more motivated I was by sitting in an aesthetically pleasing location while I was sipping a cup of coffee. Over the last year, I have found my favorite coffee shops that are a must to visit for getting work done or just for the experience.

1. Coma Coffee

1034 S Brentwood Blvd, Richmond Heights, MO 63117

This coffee shop has a very modern vibe to it and is never too loud to get work done in. With two levels of seating, there’s always a secluded corner to nestle in and read a book or an open table to catch up on your favorite tv show while you sip on a strawberry matcha latte. Unlike a lot of other small business coffee shops, Coma Coffee stays open until 8 p.m., which is always useful for long hours of studying. 

1. Fiddlehead Fern Café 

4066 Russell Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63110

This cafe is in a secluded area so there isn’t much distracting traffic surrounding the area. The vibes in this shop are so light and refreshing. This shop is usually busy so I would recommend it if you’re looking for a place to stop by for an hour or two to grab some lunch, coffee and catch up on emails. Personally, the busyness of this cafe always makes me want to work faster, but if you prefer a quieter environment, especially when studying for exams, this may not be the place for you.

1. Rise Coffee

4176 Manchester Ave, St. Louis, MO 63110

This coffee shop is aesthetically pleasing and has some of the best breakfast food and coffee I have ever tasted. Rise Coffee is a place where anyone can focus and get work done, but it is a better place to go in the day if you want to stay there for a while, considering it closes at 4pm. Rise has two levels of indoor seating and a whole patio of outdoor seating which can always ensure that you will have a great place to be productive. 

1. The Wolf Café

15480 Clayton Rd, Ballwin, MO 63011

The Wolf Café is a live music cafe that has music events at night plus great food and coffee throughout the day. This coffee shop is quiet for most of the day and provides a productive environment. They also have great bakery items, like their carrot cake, which is to die for. I also love the decor of records, musical memorabilia and stained glass windows in this shop. While this coffee shop seems very unassuming from the outside, it is clear the minute you step inside that the trip was worth it.  

1. Maypop Café and Garden Shop

803 Marshall Ave, Webster Groves, MO 63119

I definitely saved the best for last with this one. I have never visited a prettier cafe! This coffee shop also doubles as a plant shop with a variety of flowers and edible plants available for purchase. In addition to outdoor and indoor seating, there is also a greenhouse that has seating inside of it. Not only is it a quiet place to study but you can also always take a study break here by getting up and exploring the plants.

Personally, by visiting these places I get the change of scenery I need to get work done and stay productive. I know it’s also not possible to go to a different coffee shop every day but finding a place outside of your usual study spots can make such a difference in your productivity. If you ever get the chance, I would definitely suggest stopping by these coffee shops, whether it’s to get work done or just to grab a quick cup of coffee.

Writer at Her Campus at Saint Louis University. Biggest goal in life is to be the real-life version of Christina Yang.