This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Dear Past Lilly, 

Hi there! It’s yourself from the future here. Now, I know that you’re nervous about your first year of college and the challenges that come with it, so I’m here to help you out a little bit. 

First thing, do NOT worry about having a roommate. You got really, really lucky in that department, and you guys are super close. You can talk about anything and everything with each other and you have found a great support system in her. Countless nights spent talking and laughing, endless trips to Dunkin’ for coffee and enough pictures taken to cover a wall from floor to ceiling. You’re already planning trips to visit each other over the summer and you plan to dorm together again next year. You have nothing to worry about when it comes to getting along with your roommate; if anything, you’ll have to worry about saying goodbye at the end of the semester. 

Secondly, don’t worry about living in a dorm in general. Some of the nicest girls you’ll meet live on your floor, and some of them will become your best friends. Sharing communal bathrooms and showers will be awkward at first, but it’s not that bad. You’ll get used to hearing voices talking in the hallways, doors slamming closed and furniture scraping the floors above you. These sounds that used to annoy you will become familiar and strangely comforting. If anything, the one thing you should be worried about is how long you’ll have to wait for an elevator, or risk taking the stairs 14 flights up (quick tip: don’t do that if you’re carrying your backpack. You’re better off waiting 10 minutes for the one working elevator). Despite all of its challenges, you’ll grow fond of the old dorm building, and will be sad to move out and leave it behind. 

Lastly, your classes. I’m gonna be honest here, you were right to be nervous about this one. Zoom classes and socially distant classrooms are not ideal, but understand that it’s the safest thing to do. There are going to be times when you want to give up, where the work seems too difficult, but you’ll pull through. There will be stressful nights, but don’t give up and keep pushing through. All of your hard work will pay off in the end. I know you won’t listen to me, but please try not to procrastinate your homework, it’ll only make things worse for both of us. 

I know everything feels scary and overwhelming, but so many good things are about to happen to you. You’re going to meet amazing people, have so many new experiences and even get fully vaccinated by the time your first year of college is over. So please, don’t be scared about your future because I’ve seen it, and it’s great. 

Take care and good luck!

Sincerely,

Future Lilly

A psychology major who loves dogs, Disney movies, and making Spotify playlists that no one listens to.