My Structured Morning Routine and Why it’s Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Starting your day off right is essential if you want to be productive. The way you start your day has a huge impact on your success throughout the rest of the day. Having an awesome college morning routine will actually motivate you to get up and going in the morning! Either way, establishing a solid morning routine can help you stay productive and consistent.

Let’s get started with the routine:

7:00 – Wake Up

I still like to get up around the same time every weekday. I find that whenever I let myself sleep in, my morning becomes really hectic.

7:05 – Tea or Coffee

Coffee is truly a godsend. This portion of my routine will remain my favorite part of the morning. I love it because I get to try out a variety of tea and K-Cups! While my tea or coffee is brewing, I try to drink water.

7:15 – Plan for the Day

As I sip my beverage, I like to just take a few minutes each morning to plan out my day. I make a list of what I need to get done that day and double check my planner to see what’s on the agenda. I also just glance at my monthly calendar to see if I need to start studying for any upcoming exams. Taking just 5 minutes to organize my day before it starts truly makes a world of difference when it comes to having a productive day!

7:20 – Make Bed

I always need to make my bed before starting my day. Seeing an unmade bed just makes me feel disorganized. Also, if you make your bed in the morning, you’re less likely to want to crawl back into it throughout the day!

7:25 – Head to the Gym

My goal for the semester is to go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I only go for 30-45 minutes for some cardio! It wakes me up since I tend to feel sluggish in the morning, and I feel great for the rest of the day. I grab my headphones and some water and head out for a quick workout.

8:10 – Shower and Get Dressed

When I get back from the gym, I obviously like to take a shower and get dressed. After showering, I’ll brush my teeth, wash my face, get dressed, and do my hair.

8:55 – Makeup

I like to keep it pretty simple by doing an everyday makeup look.

9:25 – Eat breakfast

I’ve made it a serious goal this semester to eat breakfast every single morning.

9:50 – Head Out

When it’s time to head out, I grab my school bag and the things I need for my classes and I’m on my way!

Faith attends Saint Louis University where she double majors in International Studies and International Business with a minor in Arabic. She loves to learn about other cultures, and how they differ from her own. Faith's passions include drinking tea, trying new foods, spending time with friends and family, volunteering and reading.
Sarah is the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. She is a Junior studying English and American Studies with a primary interest in 20th-Century and Contemporary American Literature, particularly semi-autobiographical fiction and novels that celebrate diversity within the fabric of American society and culture. Sarah is originally from Minneapolis, MN (and will talk your ear off about it) and loves all things literature, intersectional feminisim, travel, food, and politics. Ask her for recommendations for exciting new novels or local restaurants, and she will gladly oblige!