This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Have you ever woken up and thought to yourself, “Wow, I really need to get it together,” but you never know where to start? This happened to me in the summer of 2021. I had tried every planner, app and listing method that the self-help books rave about but still always felt like I wasn’t able to keep up with everything. I kept wondering how I could be more productive and organized in the most hassle-free way.

I was laying in my bed when I encountered my one true love: Google Calendar. What seems like the most basic thing became an angel sent from above. Now, you might be wondering why I am so obsessed with my Google Calendar because it is just an online calendar, but in reality, that’s what I love about it. Google Calendar is so easy to use and accessible through any electronic device, which is so useful for anyone like me who forgets what classes they have every day. The ability to create different calendars based on what you’re involved in through color-coding, setting reminders and so many more features is why I love Google Calendar so much. It allows you to be so organized with minimum effort!

My Google Calendar specifically is the one thing I would take a bullet for in this world. It’s one of my best-kept secrets but also my biggest pride. I am in love with my Google Calendar because of how aesthetically pleasing it is but also how functional it is. I can separate every class, club, and activity into separate calendars and color-code them. This ingenious application has given me a way to keep track of everything without ever getting stressed out because of just how organized it is. Everything about my Google Calendar is perfect, and it gives me so much stability. The increase in productivity and organization that I have personally seen in myself is astounding.

Before I started using Google Calendar, I would always forget what I needed to get done or where I needed to go despite having a planner and a to-do list. I would always end up falling behind on my tasks which would make me feel like I could never catch up. This feeling caused me to procrastinate and generally feel so unmotivated. When I made my Google Calendar, I could make it pleasing to the eye so I would actually want to look at it. It got me back on track, and I became more motivated to keep up with my work. It was like a flip switched in my brain and I became a whole new person. Not only was I getting to all the places I needed to be and completing all work on time, but I was generally much more relaxed. Being able to see my entire schedule, assignments, extracurriculars, and events laid out on my calendar was really eye-opening for me. Instead of feeling like there wasn’t enough time in the day to get everything done, it became refreshing to be able to physically see the breaks I had throughout the day and then actually make use of that time.

You may be wondering why I’m drooling over my Google Calendar like it’s a picture of Michael B. Jordan shirtless, but to be completely honest it’s only because I believe that everyone deserves something as amazing as a Google Calendar. Even if you are hesitant about whether Google Calendar is for you, I swear that trying it for even one week will completely get you head-over-heels for it. With the chaos of college, it’s hard to keep up with extracurriculars and classes but having the ability to be organized without extra effort makes life so much more relaxed. Having a Google Calendar has kept me more organized with minimum effort, so instead of spending time figuring out what I need to get done, I can actually accomplish the tasks I need to.

Falling in love with your Google Calendar will completely change your life for the better. Trust me, I would know. 

Writer at Her Campus at Saint Louis University. Biggest goal in life is to be the real-life version of Christina Yang.