girl colorado travel hiking trees nature hat sunglasses
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

MO trails, MO fun! A guide to hiking Missouri’s natural treasures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

St. Louis is a concrete jungle-there’s no doubt about that. Friends of mine are shocked when they hear that I have found many hiking day trips only a stone’s throw away from the Lou. While I’ve learned to love this Midwestern gem of a city, at least once or twice a month I get an itch to run away from the bustle of the city and take refuge in the shade of trees. 

When I first began exploring Missouri State Parks and other green spaces near the city, I was amazed! I had no idea that the state parks in Missouri were free and that there were so many so near to the city! Missouri could be an unassuming naturally beautiful place? Who knew?

Since my ground-breaking discovery, I have kept a comprehensive list of my favorite places to get outside, take a deep breath and recenter myself. These are the four places less than an hour from St. Louis that I frequently recommend.

Weldon Springs Conservation Area

Just 30 minutes west of St. Louis, the Clark Trail in this park area is a moderately difficult 5.3-mile hike. The last time I visited this trail, I saw a big rat snake and saw beautiful views of the Missouri River! I appreciate that this conservation area has proper, longer hikes, as these are often difficult to find near metropolitan areas.

Don Robinson State Park

The four-mile hike I completed here was entirely worth the 45-minute drive southwest from STL. The landscape here is unique from the trees and Missouri River overlook landscapes that many of the parks around St. Louis are known for. Don Robinson has huge cliffs, babbling streams and bluffs you can climb up and look over. Accessible paved trails are also an option here! My friends and I made an armadillo friend, too–what’s not to love?

Cliff Cave Park

This is the perfect spot for those looking for a nature walk that won’t muddy your shoes but will still be an immersion into the great outdoors! The River Bluff Trail leads to a beautiful view and is paved the whole way. This does mean that the trail gets pretty busy, but it’s definitely worth it! I saw my first ever owl in the wild here!

Rockwoods Reservation

If you’re looking for a perfect spot to enjoy the beauty of the fall foliage in Missouri, Rockwoods Reservation is the place to be. The 3.2-mile Lime Kiln Loop Trail is a moderately easy trail that winds through the woods with creeks and a couple of outlooks. The trail ends near an alpaca farm! If you go on a windy day, you may hear creaking from the old trees as they sway.

Honorable Mentions

These spots are other favorites of mine that have a variety in trail length and difficulty. All of these spots are 30 minutes to 1-2 hours away!

Hawn State Park

Lone Elk Park 

Shaw Nature Reserve

Meramec State Park

I have experienced nothing but delight and discovery as I have ventured through the landscape of Missouri. The gentle landscape entails that almost all the trails are easy to moderate and there aren’t any natural predators to fear! All the hikers I have met on these trails have been friendly and eager to share their love of Missouri with all of us non-natives. 

I encourage you to get up, go out and bask in the unassuming glory that is natural Missouri, and as always, make sure to leave our lands better than you found them!

Lucy is a senior at Saint Louis University studying occupational therapy. In her free time—if she has any—you may find her curating music for her DJ gig with KSLU radio, shooting hoops at the Rec Center, or drinking a fun little beverage. Her writing is like her life: sporadic, passionate, full of energy, and a bit all over the place.